FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Fr. Schmidberger's declaration on current situation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The following text was read before the sermon in all chapels of the German district of the SSPX today on order of the district superior, Fr. Schmidberger. I thought it would be of interest to some here, especially as Fr. Schmidberger clearly has the opposite opinion of Bishop Williamson.

Dear faithful,

On 16th of march, Cardinal Levada, prefect for the congregation for the doctrine of the faith, gave a letter to our superior general, Bishop Fellay, in which we are asked to comment on the doctrinal preamble more positively than has happened until now.

As a last date for an answer the 15th of April has been mentioned. You surely have heard all of this, or parts of it, from the media. This means we have now arrived at a decisive point.

Even if the letter strikes a displeasing tone, there is reasonable hope for a satisfactory solution. If this came to pass, it would strengthen all conservative forces in the Church, in the other case they would be weakened and become disheartened. So first and foremost it is not about our society, but about the good of the Church.

Therefore we ask for the devoted, persistent and imploring prayers of all our faithful and of all Catholics, so that god by the salvific suffering of his only son may lead his Church out of its crisis and give her new life, new strength and new blossoming in the holy resurrection of Jesus.

Stuttgart, the 22nd of march 2012
Father Franz Schmidberger, district superior.
Interesting. From Father Schmidberger's writings (timebombs of the Council) it is clear he doesn't accept the novelties in the Council. Perhaps his optimism is an indication that a canonical position can be worked out without requiring the SSPX to accept and shut up about the problems in the Council?

:pray:
(03-25-2012, 07:43 AM)Freudentaumel Wrote: [ -> ]Even if the letter strikes a displeasing tone, there is reasonable hope for a satisfactory solution. If this came to pass, it would strengthen all conservative forces in the Church, in the other case they would be weakened and become disheartened. So first and foremost it is not about our society, but about the good of the Church.

Solution to the crisis?  How's that?  I thought the crisis was the problem not the canonical irregularity of the SSPX.  Why should the SSPX strengthen conservative forces in the Church?  Has Fr. S. read Pascendi? " Now it is by a species of covenant and compromise between these two forces of conservation and progress, that is to say between authority and individual consciences, that changes and advances take place."

I thought what was good for the Society was good for the Church?  How come I get this "sacrificial" sounding tone?  And I've been hearing for years that by virtue of the fact that the SSPX presents a threat from "outside" that the bishops have been tolerant of the FSSP and the other groups as means to drain people away from or dissuade them from going to the SSPX.
(03-25-2012, 10:05 AM)Gerard Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-25-2012, 07:43 AM)Freudentaumel Wrote: [ -> ]Even if the letter strikes a displeasing tone, there is reasonable hope for a satisfactory solution. If this came to pass, it would strengthen all conservative forces in the Church, in the other case they would be weakened and become disheartened. So first and foremost it is not about our society, but about the good of the Church.

Solution to the crisis?  How's that?  I thought the crisis was the problem not the canonical irregularity of the SSPX.  Why should the SSPX strengthen conservative forces in the Church?  Has Fr. S. read Pascendi? " Now it is by a species of covenant and compromise between these two forces of conservation and progress, that is to say between authority and individual consciences, that changes and advances take place."

I thought what was good for the Society was good for the Church?  How come I get this "sacrificial" sounding tone?   And I've been hearing for years that by virtue of the fact that the SSPX presents a threat from "outside" that the bishops have been tolerant of the FSSP and the other groups as means to drain people away from or dissuade them from going to the SSPX.

Precisely.

So if this satisfactory solution came to pass it would strengthen the Church conservatives? Exactly which conservative forces in the Church is he referring too?

At any rate, I fail to see how  the letter, if it strikes a displeasing tone can be anything but displeasing.