FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Question for those associated with the SSPX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Bishop Fellay declared that he was willing to accept an agreement if Rome would accept the Society as they were. That is they don't have to accept Vatican II or the New Mass and they're free to continue in their criticism of the changes. From your observations, if such an agreement were reached, how do you think it would be received by the other SSPX priests and faithful attending their chapels? Would a sizeable group split off?
none will split  LOL
I think some would split.
I don't think anyone would leave our chapel.
It's really difficult to say.  If the sspx was regularised "as is" (meaning absolutely no observable change on their end) I think that the amount of people leaving would be considerably less than if the sspx made an sort of compromise.  If they compromised to get regularised, I don't know how many would leave but it would be significant, I think.  Maybe a third.  Maybe more.
(03-25-2012, 11:09 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]It's really difficult to say.  If the sspx was regularised "as is" (meaning absolutely no observable change on their end) I think that the amount of people leaving would be considerably less than if the sspx made an sort of compromise.  If they compromised to get regularised, I don't know how many would leave but it would be significant, I think.  Maybe a third.  Maybe more.

This, right to a T.
The society will not compromise, they told "Rome" that they will not do this - that they will not accept Vatican II as is and that they will not say the New Mass and that they will continue to criticize it.  On the other hand, "Rome" will not compromise their new religion with the true religion, but lets say just for the discussion's sake that "Rome" did indeed allow the SSPX to continue exactly as they do now.  I doubt that this would effect the SSPX's adherents at all because nothing really would change.
(03-25-2012, 11:35 AM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-25-2012, 11:09 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]It's really difficult to say.  If the sspx was regularised "as is" (meaning absolutely no observable change on their end) I think that the amount of people leaving would be considerably less than if the sspx made an sort of compromise.  If they compromised to get regularised, I don't know how many would leave but it would be significant, I think.  Maybe a third.  Maybe more.

This, right to a T.

If the SSPX did compromise (which is HIGHLY unlikely), then I think it would be more than 1/3 of its current adherents gone - probably 3/4 or even more.  I say this because if there were so many associated with the SSPX who felt like this then they wouldn't be associated with the SSPX in the first place - they would have already gone with those who have compromised (FSSP).
From those I know who attend the SSPX:  there are many who attend because they must have the TLM and not the 'political" portion of the SSPX.  They will happily come home to Rome.  In fact some I know of now come to the diocesan parish for confession as the SSPX chapel priest does not  have faculties. (some may argue this point I know).  But others take the hard line stance that only they are the true church and so on.  Get in line. The 'Old Catholics' says the same. 

It is imperative to stay with Peter.  To turn from him is to head for protestantism and to split and to keep splitting as they do.

I would not mind attending the SSPX chapel if they come into union and to canonical standing with Rome.  But I will not leave the Holy Father!  Where there is Peter, there is the Church.  I know some will argue this point.

But it looks like a retired priest is moving to  my town and will live at a rectory and offer ONLY the TLM and that is when I co-register at that parish and once again attend the TLM. But I would not go into schism for it. Schism is from the enemy.
Some would split. Good riddance.
Pages: 1 2 3