FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Book recommendations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a friend that wants to read about the Catholic faith. I'm looking for a single volume book that would be an enjoyable read, but one that also touches on most aspects of Catholicism. Among other topics, I was looking for a book that talks about our beliefs, the Sacraments, the liturgical year, saints, etc. Something like the Idiot's Guide to Catholicism or something similar?

Any recommendations?
Are you looking for something from a Traditional perspective?
(03-25-2012, 09:36 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: [ -> ]Are you looking for something from a Traditional perspective?

Yes please!
This is the Faith by Canon Francis Ripley.

Hands down awesome.
(03-25-2012, 10:19 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]This is the Faith by Canon Francis Ripley.

Hands down awesome.

Ordered! Thank you very much. Still open to other suggestions though.
Before I reccomend, I've got a couple questions. Are you also looking for books to convince them to convert? Apologetics?

But along the lines of the basics, I would reccomend "My Catholic Faith" by Most Reverend Louis LaRavoire Morrow. Its a chatechism, complete with pictures. Smile It's pretty thorough. I don't know if they would consider a complete chatechism an enjoyable read, but I did. Its very straight forward, basic, and incredibly easy to reference.
(03-25-2012, 11:03 PM)jen51 Wrote: [ -> ]Before I reccomend, I've got a couple questions. Are you also looking for books to convince them to convert? Apologetics?

But along the lines of the basics, I would reccomend "My Catholic Faith" by Most Reverend Louis LaRavoire Morrow. Its a chatechism, complete with pictures. Smile It's pretty thorough. I don't know if they would consider a complete chatechism an enjoyable read, but I did. Its very straight forward, basic, and incredibly easy to reference.

Sort of: they've been asking questions about Catholicism but they've resisted conversion. So I'm hoping to give them a book that is an easier read than a catechism. Not necessarily apologetics, but something that can answer their questions better than I can.

I have the My Catholic Faith catechism and I enjoyed it. But it's not an easy read for someone outside of the Church, in my opinion.
Jen beat me to recommending "My Catholic Faith".  "The Faith of Millions" by Fr John O'brien(1958, earlier) is a good and readable review of the faith.  For a little more technical/deep study, look at "The Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma" by Fr Ludwig Ott or "The Teachings of the Catholic Church" by Canon Smith.  Also, Fr John Laux's series are interesting.
  Just noticing you want easy reads, well,  "The Question Box", put out in the late 20's by Paulist Fathers has various questions that try to answer common misconceptions that Protestants, and less educated Catholics have concerning the faith.  Rumbles and Carty's "Radio Replies" also would fit that description.
  Even though they may not be looking into converting at this time, perhaps someday Paul Whitcomb's conversion story would appeal.  Tan has it in print, or at least it should be easy to get a used copy.  Hope this helps.
 Joe
If anyone knows where I can get Bishop Morrow's "My Catholic Faith" online for cheap please let me know.
(03-25-2012, 10:19 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]This is the Faith by Canon Francis Ripley.

Hands down awesome.
I would recommend this as well. I was giving this book before my conversion and it turned to be extremely educational and persuasive.
Pages: 1 2