FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Holy Father to Star in a TV Commercial?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

I very much like our present Pope and have forum rules against writing about him here with disrespect, but -- I am just extremely bothered and PERPLEXED about this "John Paul II-style" move of his. First the "rock star Pope" -- and now the "TV star Pope" -- WTF!??? The Holy Father is the new "Where's the Beef" Lady? The new Flo? The new Geico Lizard?? I need a drink... From the U.K.'s Guardian:

[Image: volkswagen-phaeton-f-4_800x0w.jpg]

Pope Benedict XVI to Star in Ads for Volkswagen

Wolfsburg/Vatican City, 31 March 2012 - Pope Benedict XVI has been presented with a specially equipped Phaeton by the Chairman of the Board of Management of Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft, Dr. Bernd Pischetsrieder. "It is a particular honor for us to have the privilege of providing Pope Benedict XVI with a fitting limousine", said Pischetsrieder during the presentation in the Vatican City on Wednesday.

But the greater honor will be the Pope's gesture of gratitude. Benedict XVI has agreed to appear in a series of three television ads for Volkswagen. The ads will be filmed in June in Täuschen, Bavaria, not far from the Pope's hometown, and are expected to appear on German television later in the summer. It isn't known whether Benedict XVI will have a speaking role or whether he will just lend his moving image in what is apparently a show of thanks for Volkswagen's generosity toward the Vatican in recent years.

In 2011, Volkswagen representatives presented the head of the Catholic Church with two specially equipped Volkswagen T5 to be deployed as ambulance vehicles in Africa.

The extended wheelbase version of the Volkswagen Phaeton given to the Pope today is finished in black and is powered by a 450 hp, 6.0 l W12 engine. The limousine has been specially equipped to meet the comfort, privacy and security requirements of the Holy Father.

(04-01-2012, 12:02 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]I very much like our present Pope and have forum rules against writing about him here with disrespect, but -- I am just extremely bothered and PERPLEXED about this "John Paul II-style" move of his. First the "rock star Pope" -- and now the "TV star Pope" -- WTF!??? The Holy Father is the new "Where's the Beef" Lady? The new Flo? The new Geico Lizard?? I need a drink...

I don't think it is necessarily a good or tasteful idea either.  However Pope Leo XIII seemes to have set the precedent as this 2009 post from The_Harlequin_King shows:
http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg31421967

On that note, though I should probable wait until tomorrow, as it is after sundown on Saturday and I've said Vespers, I think I'll have a drink.
(04-01-2012, 12:48 AM)moneil Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-01-2012, 12:02 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]I very much like our present Pope and have forum rules against writing about him here with disrespect, but -- I am just extremely bothered and PERPLEXED about this "John Paul II-style" move of his. First the "rock star Pope" -- and now the "TV star Pope" -- WTF!??? The Holy Father is the new "Where's the Beef" Lady? The new Flo? The new Geico Lizard?? I need a drink...

I don't think it is necessarily a good or tasteful idea either.  However Pope Leo XIII seemes to have set the precedent as this 2009 post from The_Harlequin_King shows:
http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg31421967

On that note, though I should probable wait until tomorrow, as it is after sundown on Saturday and I've said Vespers, I think I'll have a drink.

Yeah, I was checking out Mariani Wine (for unrelated reasons) on Wikipedia and there's a pic of Pope Leo's advert for it on the page.
You know for all the things that the Borgia and Medici Popes did, I think that being in a car commercial is not that bad.
Not a good idea. Volkswagon means People's Car.
Quote:In 1933, Adolf Hitler gave the order to Ferdinand Porsche to develop a Volkswagen (literally, "people's car" in German, pronounced [ˈfɔlksvaːɡən]). The epithet Volks- literally, "people's-" had been previously applied to other Nazi sponsored consumer goods such as the Volksempfänger ("people's radio"). Hitler required a basic vehicle capable of transporting two adults and three children at 100 km/h (62 mph). The "People's Car" would be available to citizens of the Third Reich through a savings scheme, or Sparkarte (savings booklet),[12] at 990 Reichsmark, about the price of a small motorcycle (an average income being around 32RM a week).[13] Historian Paul Schilperoord argued in his 2011 biography of Josef Ganz that Hitler stole the idea for the Volkswagen Beetle from Ganz's "May Bug," which he saw in 1933 at an auto show.

Now when we consider that Benedict's participation in Hitler Youth may have very well caused him to become timid with the Jews, especially in the + Williamson Affair, one must ask what he and the Curia are thinking. Of course, this may signal a U-Turn in that perceived and possible timidity.

Will we see him going from 0 to 60 in 3.4 seconds on the Autobahn? Shifting gears quickly, with quick cuts of his papal slippers alternating between the brake and gas pedal? Will he have a rosary dangling from the rear view mirror? 

It really is kind of funny. My first boss and mentor, George Lois, used to work for Doyle, Dane, Bernbach. They did the great ads for Volkswagen, with headlines like "Lemon", and "Think Small". Stellar work.

Either way, George said to Bill Bernbach what his problem was. The problem is just jargon for what must be overcome in an ad. Now this is a direct quote, "Bill, your problem is that you are trying to sell a Nazi car in a Jewish town".
(04-01-2012, 03:24 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: [ -> ]Either way, George said to Bill Bernbach what his problem was. The problem is just jargon for what must be overcome in an ad. Now this is a direct quote, "Bill, your problem is that you are trying to sell a Nazi car in a Jewish town".

And yet I can well remember driving by the local synagogue in the mid 60s and seeing the parking lot half full of Beetles. Remember, they were cheap!
You should remember that when in America it's in the evening, in the U.K. it's already the next day. Especially when it's the evening of March 31st.
(04-01-2012, 07:38 AM)Freudentaumel Wrote: [ -> ]You should remember that when in America it's in the evening, in the U.K. it's already the next day. Especially when it's the evening of March 31st.

Yeah, I was going to say I doubt very many corporations today would want to use the Pope in a marketing campaign. He's a pretty controversial figure and all.
What's next an appearance on BBC's Top Gear ?  This is unsettling ! Volkswagen ! 

tim

I just saw on CNN that he is going to be SINGING THE JINGLE!
Pages: 1 2 3