FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: In one sentence Pope Paul VI shows VII to be problematic...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
"Maximum est sacrae Scripturae momentum in Liturgia celebranda."  Pretty maximal statement, in the Latin.

The full paragraph:

Sacred scripture is of the greatest importance in the celebration of the liturgy. For it is from scripture that lessons are read and explained in the homily, and psalms are sung; the "prayers, collects, and liturgical songs are scriptural in their inspiration and their force, and it is from the scriptures that actions and signs derive their meaning. Thus to achieve the restoration, progress, and adaptation of the sacred liturgy, it is essential to promote that warm and living love for scripture to which the venerable tradition of both eastern and western rites gives testimony."

Seems true, at first blush.  Actually, one of the huge problems with the No and VII reforms in general is Scriptural illiteracy in the very texts themselves.  The old has within it a greater comprehension and teaching of the Scripture.
(04-02-2012, 02:00 PM)ZekarjaSG Wrote: [ -> ]I understood it to mean that the Eucharist was of lesser importance compared to the Scripture which is of greatest importance in the Liturgy. I believe that, in the Liturgy, the Eucharist is of the greatest importance.

I must have misunderstood what was meant by that. Please forgive me. :(

While the quote is ambiguous, I think it is quite possible that your interpretation is correct.  I certainly wouldn't have ever expected a statement that sounds like this one before the Council.  The Church was always careful to explicitly state that the most important aspect of the Mass was the re-presentation of Christ on the altar via the Eucharist.  Something that could possibly make someone think otherwise would never have been stated, especially by a Council.
(04-02-2012, 03:21 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2012, 01:28 PM)tmw89 Wrote: [ -> ]....giving the impression that Sacred Scripture > Sacred Tradition.

Oh, V2...

Sorry but this is semantically null. Even V II reaffirmed the Traditional teaching of the Church on this point in Dei verbum, where, in the 10th paragraph, this statement is made:

Vatican II Wrote:Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture form one sacred deposit of the word of God, committed to the Church. Holding fast to this deposit the entire holy people united with their shepherds remain always steadfast in the teaching of the Apostles, in the common life, in the breaking of the bread and in prayers (see Acts 2, 42, Greek text), so that holding to, practicing and professing the heritage of the faith, it becomes on the part of the bishops and faithful a single common effort.
But the task of authentically interpreting the word of God, whether written or handed on, has been entrusted exclusively to the living teaching office of the Church, whose authority is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ. This teaching office is not above the word of God, but serves it, teaching only what has been handed on, listening to it devoutly, guarding it scrupulously and explaining it faithfully in accord with a divine commission and with the help of the Holy Spirit, it draws from this one deposit of faith everything which it presents for belief as divinely revealed.
It is clear, therefore, that Sacred Tradition, Sacred Scripture and the teaching authority of the Church, in accord with God's most wise design, are so linked and joined together that one cannot stand without the others, and that all together and each in its own way under the action of the one Holy Spirit contribute effectively to the salvation of souls.

Sure, the passage you quote gets it right - but the passage ZekarjaSG isolates, at least in English, appears easy for less-informed laymen to construe otherwise.
(04-02-2012, 04:17 PM)Parmandur Wrote: [ -> ]"Maximum est sacrae Scripturae momentum in Liturgia celebranda."  Pretty maximal statement, in the Latin.

The full paragraph:

Sacred scripture is of the greatest importance in the celebration of the liturgy. For it is from scripture that lessons are read and explained in the homily, and psalms are sung; the "prayers, collects, and liturgical songs are scriptural in their inspiration and their force, and it is from the scriptures that actions and signs derive their meaning. Thus to achieve the restoration, progress, and adaptation of the sacred liturgy, it is essential to promote that warm and living love for scripture to which the venerable tradition of both eastern and western rites gives testimony."

Seems true, at first blush.  Actually, one of the huge problems with the No and VII reforms in general is Scriptural illiteracy in the very texts themselves.  The old has within it a greater comprehension and teaching of the Scripture.

Indeed very true. Just look at what they threw out from Scripture when composing the Nervous Ordeal readings.

Supported by the writings of the reformers themselves, they indeed interpret the phrase "greatest importance" to mean "THE important thing" and not "is of great importance". Why is the sacrifical nature of the Mass hidden in the NO and the Mass defined as a memorial  meal and a place to hear the Word of God in the original GIRM? The Liturgy of the Word is what is important. In the writings of the reformers, it becomes very clear that the purpose of the Mass is instruction and not sacrifice. Why was Latin removed? For didactic purposes, of course.
Read Fr. Cekada's excellent book and discover the true purpose of the NO and the revolutionary deformers behind it.
(04-03-2012, 06:10 AM)Varus Wrote: [ -> ]Read Fr. Cekada's excellent book and discover the true purpose of the NO and the revolutionary deformers behind it.

100% agree.

http://www.philotheapress.com/store/work...man-hands/
(04-02-2012, 02:02 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2012, 02:00 PM)ZekarjaSG Wrote: [ -> ]I understood it to mean that the Eucharist was of lesser importance compared to the Scripture which is of greatest importance in the Liturgy. I believe that, in the Liturgy, the Eucharist is of the greatest importance.

Don't worry.  It's not like you can actually read that quote and make heads or tails of it anyways.  Could mean one thing, could mean another thing-- thus is modernism.

True.
(04-03-2012, 06:53 AM)tmw89 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2012, 06:10 AM)Varus Wrote: [ -> ]Read Fr. Cekada's excellent book and discover the true purpose of the NO and the revolutionary deformers behind it.

100% agree.

No, no no!  You have to use the FE amazon search!
(04-03-2012, 10:19 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]

100% agree.

The book's not widely available on Amazon though!?!
(04-03-2012, 10:19 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]

100% agree.

I didn't think it was directly available from Amazon itself?  Or does it still count, even if it's an Amazon Marketplace listing from a 3rd party seller?  If so:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...lfboutique
(04-02-2012, 02:02 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]

Don't worry.  It's not like you can actually read that quote and make heads or tails of it anyways.  Could mean one thing, could mean another thing-- thus is modernism.

Thus is the documents of Vatican II.
Pages: 1 2 3