FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: ora et labora
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
There was a time not long ago when I was making 72 rosaries a month for missionaries. I would pray the rosary while making them, since it seemed a good use of time. (I used a 'hands-free' one I made, with the crucifix unattached, and to count, I'd move the crucifix, sort of like the hands on a clock, around the single decade rosary.)

The thing is, during Advent I thought I'd deepen my prayer offerings by, for one thing, praying the rosary just sitting, with my eyes closed, hoping it would make for a better offering. I think it does, but there's a problem: I'm not making as many rosaries. When the praying and the making went hand in hand, it was easy to make a few every day, since I pray the rosary every day anyway, and it's no harder on my back to make some at the same time. I have a bad back and can't sit up for as long as it would take to do both separately every day, that is, make rosaries, and pray the rosary.

FEs, do you think it would be better for me to go back to making and praying at the same time? It hurts me to disappoint the missionaries by sending them only half of what I used to. They would never say they're disappointed, but that doesn't prove they're not! The reason it's a hard decision is that I do pray better when I'm not occupied with anything else.  helpsmiley

I think its ok to cut in half the number of rosaries you send them. 36 rosaries a month!? That is still incredibly generous! I too pray better when I am not doing something else. In fact, it is quite hard for me to pray well while doing anything else at all. I think they would understand upon hearing your situation. And as missionaries, I'll bet many of them would be happy to hear how much you value your time in prayer. Perhaps you could make it up by including them in your rosary intentions when you pray it?
Make the rosaries on your knees while praying the rosary.  Seriously, that's how I fold my laundry.
(04-03-2012, 11:19 PM)jen51 Wrote: [ -> ]I think its ok to cut in half the number of rosaries you send them. 36 rosaries a month!? That is still incredibly generous! I too pray better when I am not doing something else. In fact, it is quite hard for me to pray well while doing anything else at all. I think they would understand upon hearing your situation. And as missionaries, I'll bet many of them would be happy to hear how much you value your time in prayer. Perhaps you could make it up by including them in your rosary intentions when you pray it?

I already include them. I suppose I could make it up by sending them money instead. I don't know that a rosary is something I can put a price on, though.

(04-03-2012, 11:46 PM)Titus Alba Wrote: [ -> ]Make the rosaries on your knees while praying the rosary.  Seriously, that's how I fold my laundry.

I have bad knees too. (Or, bad will.)
Look at the glass half full.  You are doing so much good now.  Thirty six rosaries is much better than none and I am sure the missionaries appreciate them.
I saw some Sisters one time, cooking for the poor, all of them were saying the rosary. I thought this is truly ora et labora. They were all cheerful and smily. As a young guy I worked in my Mom's little restaurant and that work is not smily. I have read the early Christians while working their fields would sing the psalms all day. Those pagans like the Romans that encountered them always remarked at how odd it was. So, what I'm getting at is whichever way is better for you, do it. The work of making the rosaries is not secondary. You are supplying a sacramental to those
missionaries, and that is important. This is evangelization.

tim
(04-04-2012, 08:33 AM)Cato76 Wrote: [ -> ]Look at the glass half full.  You are doing so much good now.  Thirty six rosaries is much better than none and I am sure the missionaries appreciate them.

Thank you for your kindness! I know the missionaries aren't tyrants, and neither is Our Lady (and neither are you  Love Eyes. As for Titus Alba ...  Hmmm.... ) That's what makes the decision so hard! Tyrants can be instruments of conversion too! God bless you both!

(04-04-2012, 08:55 AM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]I saw some Sisters one time, cooking for the poor, all of them were saying the rosary. I thought this is truly ora et labora. They were all cheerful and smily. As a young guy I worked in my Mom's little restaurant and that work is not smily. I have read the early Christians while working their fields would sing the psalms all day. Those pagans like the Romans that encountered them always remarked at how odd it was. So, what I'm getting at is whichever way is better for you, do it. The work of making the rosaries is not secondary. You are supplying a sacramental to those
missionaries, and that is important. This is evangelization.

tim

Tim, how did the sisters count and cook at the same time? Do you remember? The rosary making is really the only work I can do at all, so it seems of primary importance. I'm going to try to do both at once, I think, and see how it goes. Or, I might just do both, and both - make rosaries while praying them too, AND offer an 'extra' one just sitting. The possibilities are almost endless! Grazie!
One of the sisters at the stove held a rosary while watching pots. She led them and kept count. The other sisters were chopping or trimming vegetables or meats preparing them for cooking.

tim
Good stuff. A portable audio device of some kind could work too, if alone with hands full, not to suggest obsessiveness, but, like you say, just to do what's best.
Maybe this comes down to personal preference but I find I pray and meditate better while working, especially if it's more tedious mechanical work so I would do the 72 and pray at the same time. I wouldn't feel guilty if you need to cut down for the sake of your prayer life though. If ora et labora doesn't work for you, you should adjust to what does.

If you need help counting I really enjoy this website. They lead and leave a quiet moment for you to answer so you can easily follow and pray but work as well without worrying about the counting. The only thing that is too bad is that they put the playlist in backwards. You can still hit Joyful, Sorrowful and Glorious individually but if anyone knows a way to reverse the playlist please enlighten me! 

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL784E4033C996322D&feature=plcp
Pages: 1 2 3