FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Good Friday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Prayer of St Bridget which is said to release 33 souls from Purgatory said on Good Friday:

"I adore Thee, O Holy Cross, which has been adorned with the tender, delicate, and venerable hands and feet of my Saviour, Jesus Christ, and immured with the Precious Blood. I adore Thee, my God, nailed to the Cross for me. I adore Thee again, O Holy Cross, for the love of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen" To be said before a Crucifix with prayers for the Pope.

(Not to be confused by the Prayer of S. Gertrude which is said to release 1000 souls every time it is said.)

Notice:  Novena to the Divine Mercy begins on Good Friday and ends on the eve of Divine Mercy Sunday (Sunday after Easter, or Second Sunday in Easter).  Please Google the Nine day novena.

Our Lord requested that the Feast of Divine Mercy be celebrated.  To those who go to Confession and receive holy Communion on this Sunday  will be granted complete forgiveness of sins and punishment.  Of course, you must always ask and implore for the grace of holy perseverance and the grace to remain faithful until the end, there's always the chance of losing grace.  (If one is not conscious of being mortal sin, confession may not be necessary)

Edit to add:  Intention of the Novena to the Divine Mercy.

The Divine Mercy Novena

Jesus asked that the Feast of the Divine Mercy be preceded by a Novena to the Divine Mercy which would begin on Good Friday.  He gave St. Faustina an intention to pray for on each day of the Novena, saving for the last day the most difficult intention of all, the lukewarm and indifferent of whom He said:

"These souls cause Me more suffering than any others; it was from such souls that My soul felt the most revulsion in the Garden of Olives. It was on their account that I said: 'My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass Me by.' The last hope of salvation for them is to flee to My Mercy."

In her diary, St. Faustina wrote that Jesus told her:

"On each day of the novena you will bring to My heart a different group of souls and you will immerse them in this ocean of My mercy ... On each day you will beg My Father, on the strength of My passion, for the graces for these souls."

The different souls prayed for on each day of the novena are:

DAY 1 (Good Friday)  - All mankind, especially sinners

DAY  2 (Holy Saturday) - The souls of priests and religious

DAY 3 (Easter Sunday)  - All devout and faithful souls

DAY 4 (Easter Monday) - Those who do not believe in Jesus and those who do not yet know Him

DAY  5 (Easter Tuesday) - The souls of separated brethren

DAY  6 (Easter Wednesday) - The meek and humble souls and the souls of children

DAY  7 (Easter Thursday) - The souls who especially venerate and glorify Jesus' mercy

DAY  8 (Easter Friday) - The souls who are detained in purgatory;

DAY  9 (Easter Saturday) - The souls who have become lukewarm.
I thought we received Grace and Forgiveness every time we go to Confession. Is there extra Grace to be had for Confession specifically on Easter Sunday? I am genuinely asking.
Good Friday prayer to the Precious Blood:

O Jesus, Who on account of Thy burning love for us hast willed to be crucified and to shed Thy Most Precious Blood for the redemption and salvation of our souls, look down upon us here gathered together in remembrance of Thy most sorrowful Passion and Death, fully trusting in Thy mercy; cleanse us from sin by Thy grace, sanctify our labors, give unto us and unto all those who are dear to us, our daily bread, sweeten our suffereings, bless our families and to the nations so sorely afflicted, grant Thy peace, which is the only true peace, so that by obeying Thy commandments we may come at last to the glory of Heaven. Amen.

The faithful, who recite this prayer with devotion at three o'clock on Good Friday, the hour when Our Lord Jesus Christ died on the Cross, are granted:

An indulgence of 500 days.

http://www.catholictradition.org/Passion/lent.htm

http://www.catholictradition.org/Passion/stations.htm

http://www.catholictradition.org/Passion/stations3.htm

(04-05-2012, 06:48 PM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]I thought we received Grace and Forgiveness every time we go to Confession. Is there extra Grace to be had for Confession specifically on Easter Sunday? I am genuinely asking.

Usually when we go to confession, we are cleansed of the guilt of sin, but not the temporal punishment. On the Sunday after Easter, according the Divine Mercy revelations to St. Faustina, if you go to confession you also have the temporal punishment remitted--in other words, Jesus essentially grants you a plenary indulgence (which He certainly has authority to do). 

The Church has made this part of the private revelation public, so to speak, by granting a plenary indulgence for receiving the sacraments on this day--so whether you believe in the Divine Mercy revelations or not, the indulgence is definitely real.

(04-05-2012, 11:25 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-05-2012, 06:48 PM)Heinrich Wrote: [ -> ]I thought we received Grace and Forgiveness every time we go to Confession. Is there extra Grace to be had for Confession specifically on Easter Sunday? I am genuinely asking.

Usually when we go to confession, we are cleansed of the guilt of sin, but not the temporal punishment. On the Sunday after Easter, according the Divine Mercy revelations to St. Faustina, if you go to confession you also have the temporal punishment remitted--in other words, Jesus essentially grants you a plenary indulgence (which He certainly has authority to do). 

The Church has made this part of the private revelation public, so to speak, by granting a plenary indulgence for receiving the sacraments on this day--so whether you believe in the Divine Mercy revelations or not, the indulgence is definitely real.

TY
(04-05-2012, 11:25 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: [ -> ]

This is the complete remission of sin, as received in holy Baptism.  This is what Our Lord meant and intended to do for those who comply with His wishes, as revealed to St. Faustina.

N.B.  I neglected to mention that the prayer of St. Bridget is to be said 3 times (I say it 33 times, one for each year of Our Lord).  The usual prayers for the Pope is one Pater, one Ave, and one Gloria Patris.