FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Former nun from Indiana to be "ordained" priest Sunday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
How wonderful. My home state, even!!  >sad
http://www.wthr.com/story/17413563/india...lic-priest
Poor woman.  What a shame.
Just so we're all on the same page, I'm hoping somebody who knows the theology can step in and validate this:  it is impossible for a female human being to ever possess Holy Orders by virtue of her very feminine nature and being, correct?  Even if proper form and matter and intention are observed in "ordaining" a woman, it cannot work because of her... being a woman?  Like... trying to fit a large square block in a small triangular hole?  This has always been my impression...
"If I had been a boy, I would have been in the seminary for sure."

But you're not a boy, so.....  

So let's just change the rules. No big deal. No big deal at all   Eye-roll

After being a Catholic for 70 years, surely this gal should know better.
(04-14-2012, 04:23 PM)tmw89 Wrote: [ -> ]Even if proper form and matter and intention are observed in "ordaining" a woman, it cannot work because of her... being a woman?  Like... trying to fit a large square block in a small triangular hole?  This has always been my impression...

You're right, with a small clarification. The matter of ordination is a male human being. Ergo, there cannot be proper matter in the attempted ordination of a woman.
(04-14-2012, 04:27 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-14-2012, 04:23 PM)tmw89 Wrote: [ -> ]Even if proper form and matter and intention are observed in "ordaining" a woman, it cannot work because of her... being a woman?  Like... trying to fit a large square block in a small triangular hole?  This has always been my impression...

You're right, with a small clarification. The matter of ordination is a male human being. Ergo, there cannot be proper matter in the attempted ordination of a woman.

The bit about "matter" half-occurred to me after I posted that  Grin
Actually, the matter in Holy Orders is the hands of the Bishop.  The male candidate is not the matter, but the object.  The example St. Thomas uses is that Unction requires a sick person, and Confession a sinner, so Holy Orders requires a dude.

For your reading pleasure:

[quote='Saint Thomas Aquinas']
I answer that, Certain things are required in the recipient of a sacrament as being requisite for the validity of the sacrament, and if such things be lacking, one can receive neither the sacrament nor the reality of the sacrament. Other things, however, are required, not for the validity of the sacrament, but for its lawfulness, as being congruous to the sacrament; and without these one receives the sacrament, but not the reality of the sacrament. Accordingly we must say that the male sex is required for receiving Orders not only in the second, but also in the first way. Wherefore even though a woman were made the object of all that is done in conferring Orders, she would not receive Orders, for since a sacrament is a sign, not only the thing, but the signification of the thing, is required in all sacramental actions; thus it was stated above (Question 32, Article 2) that in Extreme Unction it is necessary to have a sick man, in order to signify the need of healing. Accordingly, since it is not possible in the female sex to signify eminence of degree, for a woman is in the state of subjection, it follows that she cannot receive the sacrament of Order. Some, however, have asserted that the male sex is necessary for the lawfulness and not for the validity of the sacrament, because even in the Decretals (cap. Mulieres dist. 32; cap. Diaconissam, 27, qu. i) mention is made of deaconesses and priestesses. But deaconess there denotes a woman who shares in some act of a deacon, namely who reads the homilies in the Church; and priestess [presbytera] means a widow, for the word "presbyter" means elder.
[/quote
(04-14-2012, 04:27 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]

Dont forget "Baptized Man"
Does this entail automatic excommunication?
(04-14-2012, 07:09 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: [ -> ]Does this entail automatic excommunication?

I believe so. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4