FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Eucharistic Abuses: a cancer in the Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.courageouspriest.com/father-m...ment-22922

A Cancer at the Heart of the Church

How and why does this sort of thing happen? It causes me a piercing sorrow because it is emblematic of the widespread loss of faith in the adorable mystery of the Most Holy Eucharist that is a cancer at the heart of the Church.

The Erosion of Faith

Several years ago, in the context of a course I was teaching, I suggested that the erosion of faith in the Most Holy Eucharist was, in fact, fostered by a number of liturgical and disciplinary changes:

– Minimalistic approach to the fast before Holy Communion.
– The offering of the Holy Sacrifice by the priest facing the congregation.
– The removal of the communion rail and obfuscation of the sanctuary as “the holy place.”
– The relegation of the tabernacle to the side of the sanctuary.
– The reception of Holy Communion standing, and in the hand.
– The introduction of Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion.

Taken together, these changes sent a chilling message to the Catholic faithful (and even to confused clergy): “Folks, the Blessed Sacrament just isn’t all that we thought it was.”

The Protestantization of Catholic Worship

Let it be noted, en passant, that while all of these changes are a cause of scandal to Eastern Orthodox Christians, not one of them would be considered offensive to mainstream Protestants. When one begins to worship like a Protestant, one begins to believe like a Protestant.

Ignorance

The cumulative effect of these changes, compounded by a woefully deficient sacramental catechesis and by certain lamentable theological, liturgical, and moral sensibilities in seminaries during the 60s, 70s, and 80s, is the current Eucharistic Crisis. Redemptionis Sacramentum (2004) remains, in most dioceses, a document that is virtually unknown. Pope John Paul II’s “Year of the Eucharist” seems to have faded into oblivion; his EncyclicalEcclesia de Eucharistia (2003), and his Apostolic Letter, Mane nobiscum, Domine (2004) seem not to have been assimilated at the parish level. Pope Benedict XVI’s Sacramentum Caritatis (2007) is, in many places, unknown.

Adoration and Reparation

Adoration in a spirit of reparation is more than ever necessary. Where are the adorers and reparators who will console the Heart of Jesus, wounded by the irreverence, coldness, indifference, and sacrilege that He receives “in the house of them that loved Him,” and in the Sacrament of His Love?

As for the much discussed “reform of the reform,” might it not be a case of too little too late? Can anything apart from a Divine Intervention, a new sacerdotal Pentecost, obtained through the intercession of the Maternal Heart of Mary, bring about the change of heart that is needed?
I'd say it didn't stop in the seminaries in the 80's. Show me the fruits of all the properly trained new priests. Zero ! They are no better trained judging by the continuing abuse. Reparation and Adoration aren't the solution. The people are inviolved in the Satanic anti-sacraments of abortion, and contraception. Until these are preached against, and communion refused, and people repent, it will continue. You can't fix one problem by doing something else.  Not even EWTN preaches against these anti-sacraments from the pulpit, and the depravity is epidemic. Pope John Paul II sowed seeds on very very bad ground, and they whithered, and died.

tim
(04-18-2012, 03:06 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say it didn't stop in the seminaries in the 80's. Show me the fruits of all the properly trained new priests. Zero ! They are no better trained judging by the continuing abuse. Reparation and Adoration aren't the solution. The people are inviolved in the Satanic anti-sacraments of abortion, and contraception. Until these are preached against, and communion refused, and people repent, it will continue. You can't fix one problem by doing something else.  Not even EWTN preaches against these anti-sacraments from the pulpit, and the depravity is epidemic. Pope John Paul II sowed seeds on very very bad ground, and they whithered, and died.

tim
Are you sure about this? I have much discussion of these matters on EWTN radio.
From the pulpit at Mass, where the abuse takes place ? More, outside of tradom, have you seen many families with more than two kids ? This is the true indicator of the depravity.

tim
(04-18-2012, 03:20 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]From the pulpit at Mass, where the abuse takes place ? More, outside of tradom, have you seen many families with more than two kids ? This is the true indicator of the depravity.

tim
Yes, from the pulpit at mass. I am specifically referencing EWTN. Oh, and for lots of kids. I'm probably the only trad in my family, but my parents had six kids. Out of the six, the only that has been married is 27 and already has five. He and his wife were only able to have four naturally. When they found out that my sister-in-law was incapable of having anymore, they adopted a fifth. My dear friend who was the Youth minister at my parish is now up to five with no intention of stopping anytime soon. etc. etc. etc.
(04-18-2012, 03:06 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say it didn't stop in the seminaries in the 80's. Show me the fruits of all the properly trained new priests. Zero ! They are no better trained judging by the continuing abuse. Reparation and Adoration aren't the solution. The people are inviolved in the Satanic anti-sacraments of abortion, and contraception. Until these are preached against, and communion refused, and people repent, it will continue. You can't fix one problem by doing something else.  Not even EWTN preaches against these anti-sacraments from the pulpit, and the depravity is epidemic. Pope John Paul II sowed seeds on very very bad ground, and they whithered, and died.

tim

Well said, Tim although I think there are a few very faithful examples outside "traddom," mostly at the few Catholic colleges that are faithful to the Church. From what I've heard, the local college that best exemplifies this is training a lot of priests to say the traditional Mass.

But we need it at parishes.
It could be where I live but I see no such thing here. Two children is the norm for most  It might be EWTN has taken to preaching against those sins. I must admit I am judging from past experience.  I happened on to EWTN two days ago, and Father Joseph didn't that day. I watched daily for years and never heard anyone preach that those sins are rampant in the Church, not even Fr. Pavone. He preached about others outside the Church and abortion, and helping those women. That ain't the same.

tim
Agreed Tim.  2 kids is the norm, 3 is a "large family".

38 years and not once did I hear of the inherent evil of birth control, or that it was a sin.  I heard it on Audio Sancto for the first time and the message was so foreign it was a bit shocking. 
(04-18-2012, 05:55 PM)onosurf Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed Tim.  2 kids is the norm, 3 is a "large family".

38 years and not once did I hear of the inherent evil of birth control, or that it was a sin.  I heard it on Audio Sancto for the first time and the message was so foreign it was a bit shocking. 

A family with three kids almost always had two daughters first, made a last try for a boy, then quit being open to life. Or so it appears.

But some of us are lucky to have one child.  Or two, or three.  Remember that before you judge. 

Many couples have lost one or more children, something nobody else knows unless we tell them. 
I was thinking yesterday morning about our Nicholas Elias, who would have been 33 this spring, wishing he had lived.  Our first child was, and is, perfectly healthy.  After having a healthy baby,
you don't expect things to go wrong in future pregnancies but they can.

Friends in our parish had two girls, lost a baby boy before birth, then had a boy who lived.  People here would not necessarily know about the boy they lost because all the children were born before they moved to this area.

I happen to know that two other couples in the parish had a first child who was stillborn. I'm sure other families in the parish are missing one or more children.  My mother had four children, lost three others, back before Rh factor was understood.

Some other, younger, friends in the parish wanted a baby for years.  They had all the tests and it seemed that the only way they could have a child of their own would be IVF, which they were desperate enough to consider but didn't do.  She could have also had artificial insemination with donor sperm. They accepted being childless.  A few years later, they had a happy surprise, realizing she was pregnant.  Their son is in middle school now and I think it's unlikely they'll have another miracle now that they're in their mid-late forties.  Those who don't know their history might assume they are contracepting and that they only wanted one child.

Things are not always what they seem to be.

My deepest sympathies for you and the loss of your child, and all parents which suffer such losses. Not to be a stickler, but those aren't what is going on, those are tragedies, which heroic parents suffer.  What i'm addressing are the couples that never had any intention to have more than one or two, and intended to have prosperous lives instead.  That's the epidemic.

tim
Pages: 1 2