FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Communion in the hand
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This is really good...share with everyone...

In 1969 Pope Paul VI, with serious misgivings, published Memoriale Domini and opened the fateful door to communion-in-the-hand. He stated that the traditional way of receiving on the tongue was preferable, and then spelled out the threat to Holy Communion with very specific warnings:

"A change in a matter of such moment, based on a most ancient and venerable tradition, does not merely affect discipline. It carries certain dangers with it which may arise from the new manner of administering Holy Communion: the danger of a loss of reverence for the august sacrament of the altar, of profanation, of adulterating the true doctrine."

All of the pope’s misgivings have come true. The Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Savior is frequently being treated with disdain and irreverence; communion-in-the-hand has opened the door to trivialization, sacrilege, abuse and indifference. The vast majority of Roman Catholics no longer kneel to receive Him, and a significant percentage of Catholics no longer recognize the Holy Eucharist as the Real Presence.

As Memoriale Domini dictates, Rome firmly respects your right to receive on the tongue and encourages you to do so. No priest in the world has the right to refuse communion in the traditional manner.

http://www.communion-in-the-hand.org/

The concilliar popes could simply decree that communio in manu must stop, and that those who refused would be excommunicated.
So the pope wrote himself an insurance policy with those warnings. Knowing what would imminently happen.

(04-20-2012, 12:12 AM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: [ -> ]So the pope wrote himself an insurance policy with those warnings. Knowing what would imminently happen.

Communion in the hand was already taking place at the time the pope issued that encyclical, but not in the U.S., at least not legally.

The practice of Communion in the hand in modern times predates the new Mass by a number of years, just as standing for Holy Communion predates the new Mass.  In the parish of my youth, Holy Communion was received standing several years before the new Mass was ever promulgated.
Something is wrong with the site's layout using Opera (in case the person responsible is reading here).
As I recall my Cardinal Bernardin, created the loop hole which all the rest slid through, and Voila, communion in the hand.

tim,
Have any of you who attend Mass at NO churches ever had trouble with receiving on the tongue from a priest?
(04-20-2012, 03:00 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: [ -> ]Have any of you who attend Mass at NO churches ever had trouble with receiving on the tongue from a priest?
Never.
(04-20-2012, 03:00 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: [ -> ]Have any of you who attend Mass at NO churches ever had trouble with receiving on the tongue from a priest?

three times only.  If it ever happens again I think it would be best just to walk away and not receive Our Lord

I have never had any problems around receiving on the tongue, but encountered a lot of opposition to kneeling.
Pages: 1 2 3 4