FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Who is Alcuin Reid?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
He seems to have written quite a few books on the liturgy. Anyone heard of him?

Through Jesus and Mary,

TT.
You don't know him? He's a major player in the traditionalist movement in England and France of the hermeneutic of continuity variety. PhD from Kings College, London for a thesis on the liturgy. He has even collaborated or carried a preface by Cardinal Ratzinger on several books on the liturgy.

Most recently, I believe, he gave a positive review of Fr. Cekada's book Work of Human Hands, even though he strongly disagrees with Fr. Cekada's conclusions -- http://www.doctrinaliturgica.com/2011/07...d-to-face/

Would you recommend his books? I found many on Amazon, and I discovered they had prefaces by then Cardinal Ratzinger, as you pointed out.
If you are interested in a dispassionate academic study of liturgical development, I would recommend him without reservation. May God bless you.
When I was helping Laszlo, looking for translations, I found the Andrewes books. I asked a Benedictine acquaintance if he knew if the translations were faithful from the Latin. He contacted Alcuin Reid and I received a little note saying they were as good as was available. I believe he and Michael Davies, and Dr. Mara had a working relationship.

tim
I met him in person a number of years ago. He seems like a faithful son of the Church who has suffered greatly at the sight of so much damage done to the Church's Sacred Liturgy.
I recommend his work on organic development. Required reading.

The Organic Development of the Liturgy: The Principles of Liturgical Reform and Their Relation to the Twentieth-Century Liturgical Movement Prior to the Second Vatican Council by Alcuin Reid
(05-01-2012, 01:26 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: [ -> ]I recommend his work on organic development. Required reading.

The Organic Development of the Liturgy: The Principles of Liturgical Reform and Their Relation to the Twentieth-Century Liturgical Movement Prior to the Second Vatican Council by Alcuin Reid

Organic Development was a great help to me as I was researching Work of Human Hands, and provided endless interesting leads to investigate. Good insights and analysis on Jungmann's two key ideas: his corruption theory and "pastoral liturgy. Interesting nuggets, too: Cardinal Spellman travelling to Rome to intervene personally against the new Holy Week.

It's primarily an academic work for someone who is relatively well-versed in matters liturgical, and Reid's documentation is exhaustive. The book has had a considerable influence among those in the Novus Ordo establishment who see the post V2 liturgical reforms as a flop.

One of his criticisms of Work of Human Hands, by the way, was quite surprising: I went too EASY on Pius XII and his reforms!

Reid has a successor volume in preparation, this one on the post-V2 liturgical reforms. While he doesn't exactly write from what we here would call the "trad perspective," I think it will end up confirming quite a bit of what trads have been saying for decades about the reforms.

I, for one, am greatly looking forward to reading it.

I'm not quite sure on the details, but I believe he is/was a priest or cleric of the Diocese of Fréjus-Toulon, France.  Perhaps others will know the back-story there, leaving aside the whole issue of whether there can ever be such a creature as a "former" priest....
I'm pretty sure he is a deacon of Fréjus-Toulon.
Pages: 1 2