FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Few will be Saved
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
With the apostasy from the True Faith, with divorce, contraception, and other unnatural vices being legalized it's not to hard to believe what many saints have stated "few will be saved" Think of all the people you know who deny 1 or more teachings on faith and morals. One Orginal Sin started the downfall and few will make it to heaven in a state of grace. God help us all!!!
Interesting that the guy who committed that original sin is a saint.  I guess there's always hope.  :)
Thankfully, God does help us all.  And one of the most important lessons for all of us to learn is trust in Him.  I know it's one I'm struggling with.
Saint Vincent Ferrer relates that an archdeacon in Lyons gave up his charge and retreated into a desert place to do penance, and that he died the same day and hour as Saint Bernard. After his death, he appeared to his bishop and said to him, "Know, Monsignor, that at the very hour I passed away, thirty-three thousand people also died. Out of this number, Bernard and myself went up to heaven without delay, three went to purgatory, and all the others fell into Hell."

Saint Vincent Ferrer died in the year 1419
St. Leonard of Port Maurice gives some pretty thought-provoking statistics along those same lines. "With fear and trembling, work out your salvation." Yes, God will provide enough grace for each of us to be saved but He bestows the graces only when we co-operate.

I was startled to read in one of St. Alphonsus Liguori's works that the grace of final perseverance is only given to those who ask for it and he insists that we must pray for it every day. You don't hear that in modernist circles!
(05-10-2012, 06:55 AM)Serva_Ancillae Wrote: [ -> ]I was startled to read in one of St. Alphonsus Liguori's works that the grace of final perseverance is only given to those who ask for it and he insists that we must pray for it every day. You don't hear that in modernist circles!

Every Catholic should follow the devotion of the Three Hail Marys every day.

Eternal salvation: difficult but simple!
(05-10-2012, 05:25 AM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]Saint Vincent Ferrer relates that an archdeacon in Lyons gave up his charge and retreated into a desert place to do penance, and that he died the same day and hour as Saint Bernard. After his death, he appeared to his bishop and said to him, "Know, Monsignor, that at the very hour I passed away, thirty-three thousand people also died. Out of this number, Bernard and myself went up to heaven without delay, three went to purgatory, and all the others fell into Hell."

For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son to save 0.0002% of humans.  You Latins really have a knack for obliterating hope, you know?  Especially if God predestines those whom shall be saved, if really so few are, Christ's passion and death really was a tragic waste of effort.
Frankly, I don't see it as that bad, but I ask for the grace to persevere every day and here's a little prayer from the Imitation of Christ, I pray everyday.

GRANT me Thy grace, most merciful Jesus, that it may be with me and work with me and persevere with me even to the end. Grant that I may always desire and will that which is to Thee most acceptable and most dear. Let Thy will be mine, and let my will ever follow Thine and agree perfectly with it. Let my willing and not-willing be all one with Thine, and let me not be able to will or not will anything else but what Thou willest or willest not. Amen.

CONCEDE mihi, benignissime Iesu, gratiam tuam, ut mecum sit et mecum laboret mecumque in finem usque perseveret. Da mihi hoc semper desiderare et velle, quod tibi magis acceptum est carius placet. Tua voluntas mea sit, et mea voluntas tuam semper sequatur, et optime ei concordet. Sit mihi unum velle et nolle tecum, nec aliud posse velle aut nolle, nisi quod Tu vis et nolis. Amen.

Ask, and you shall receive,

tim
In Matthew 7 verses 13 and 14 God says the road is narrow and few will even find it Melkite. Our Lord says most won't even find the right path to Heaven forget about dying in God's graces on that road. That sounds pretty scary to me.
(05-10-2012, 08:08 AM)Melkite Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-10-2012, 05:25 AM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]Saint Vincent Ferrer relates that an archdeacon in Lyons gave up his charge and retreated into a desert place to do penance, and that he died the same day and hour as Saint Bernard. After his death, he appeared to his bishop and said to him, "Know, Monsignor, that at the very hour I passed away, thirty-three thousand people also died. Out of this number, Bernard and myself went up to heaven without delay, three went to purgatory, and all the others fell into Hell."

For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son to save 0.0002% of humans.  You Latins really have a knack for obliterating hope, you know?  Especially if God predestines those whom shall be saved, if really so few are, Christ's passion and death really was a tragic waste of effort.

Which Latins? Current popes and theologians, following Eastern sensibilities, tend towards universalism which is plainly heretical.

That God presdestines those whom are saved is certain. I don't know why you disingenuously continue to cast doubt on it. The number of the elect is known only to Him, it's useless to speculate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5