FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Rogation Days (Minor litanies)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Reminder that the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before AscensionThursday are Rogation Days in which the Church would have us pray the Litany of the Saints. Ascension Thursday is a Holy Day of Obligation.  The Major Rogation Day was on April 25, if anybody missed it.
Thanks, Vincentius. These are day of partial abstinace, like Ember Days, right?
(05-12-2012, 11:16 AM)Richard C Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, Vincentius. These are day of partial abstinace, like Ember Days, right?

I do not want to entirely derail this, but does anyone know how old the concept of "partial abstinence" is? It seems a bit strange to me, not that that means much.
(05-12-2012, 11:16 AM)Richard C Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, Vincentius. These are day of partial abstinace, like Ember Days, right?

No abstinence but fasting was required in preparation for Ascension Thursday.  Those who can should fast but I don't think it is a "fast" rule.  This observance however which declined after V-II was recently revived by Pope Benedict 16's Summorum Pontificum which meant to revive the traditional practices.

Richard C, the rule of partial abstinence still holds for all the days in Lent, except during feast days and in eves of certain feast days, (and of course, Sundays), though again, it is no longer a "fast" rule to observe.  Where is Paul, who is really the most knowledgeable about all of the Church's observation of Rules?