FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Author of "The Exorcist" Leading Canon Lawsuit against Georgetown
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Washington, D.C. – Academy Award winner William Peter Blatty, whose best-selling book and blockbuster film The Exorcist were situated at his alma mater, Georgetown University, announced today that he will lead alumni, students and other members of the new Father King Society to petition the Catholic Church for remedies up to and including the possible removal or suspension of top-ranked Georgetown’s right to call itself Catholic or Jesuit in its fundraising and representations to applicants.

The move comes on the heels of an unprecedented rebuke of Georgetown and its first lay president by His Eminence, Donald Cardinal Wuerl, the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Washington, over Georgetown’s invitation to HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to be a diploma ceremony speaker today.  Georgetown, however, has not backed down.

The editors of the Archdiocesan newspaper wrote in an editorial last Sunday regarding Georgetown: “When the vision guiding university choices does not clearly reflect the light of the Gospel and authentic Catholic teaching, there are, of course, disappointing results.”

The Father Kings Society’s Canon Law action, based on Georgetown’s failure for more than two decades to comply with the requirements of Ex corde Ecclesiae (ECE), the 1990 Apostolic Constitution for Catholic Universities, was already being planned before the Sebelius scandal.

“This is simply the last straw,” said Blatty.  “The scandals that Georgetown has given to the faithful are too many to count, and too many to ignore any longer.”

On the Father King Society website [www.fatherkingsociety.org ] announcing the Canon Law action, Blatty writes: “Of course, what we truly seek is for Georgetown to have the vision and courage to be Catholic, but clearly the slow pastoral approach has not worked.  …Georgetown is being dishonest.  Together, we need to end that!”

Linking GU’s non-compliance with Church law to GU’s regular scandals, the website tracks the Archdiocesan editorial:  “Twenty two years of GU scandals, since Ex corde Ecclesiae was promulgated, are not just proof of a failed Catholic identity, they are evidence and a direct result of Georgetown’s failure to comply with ECE.”

Blatty does not mince words about who is to blame for Georgetown’s slide:

“Many believe that to make Georgetown truly Catholic is to turn back the clock hands and somehow limit its very nature as a university, as if the notion of ‘Catholic’ and ‘university’ are new to each other, or inherently at odds.  On the contrary, to make Georgetown ‘Catholic’ is to move the clock forward; it is to make the University better than it now is!  Of course, there are always those who are afraid of change—who lack vision.  They may need to step aside.”

“John Paul II exhorted us all to preserve for the Church the highest places of culture—our universities.  Generations of alumni have long been seduced to ‘go along’ by dinners, medals, and board seats.  We have all been negligent for too long: the laity, the clergy, and the bishops as well.”
http://blog.cardinalnewmansociety.org/20...n-lawsuit/
Thanks Father Hesburgh, for creating the whole "Be as Catholic as you want to be" plague that's rotting these Catholic schools.
His 1967 Land O'Lakes document (written with MANY Jesuits) makes me want to puke out of my nose. Look it up if you need to.
It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ with Hesburgh.
He wanted to not make Notre Dame the greatest Catholic University in America, no that wasn't good enough for him.
He wanted Notre Dame to be the BEST university in America. Regardless of it's Catholic identity.
Which meant bringing in top students who didn't care about the faith and minimizing the school's Catholic culture as to not offend non-Catholic students.
This all meant more endowment $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and greater glory for Notre Dame which reflected on to the vainest of the vain - Father Hesburgh.
Today's issues with these schools all go back to Father Hesburgh.
I pray and hope for Blatty's success as I also honor the memory of Bishop William Joseph McDonald, rector of Catholic University in 1967 and the only one who refused to sign Land O'Lakes.

C.
Wow, I didn't know Blatty was a Catholic. How old is he now? Good that he's making a stink over this.
(05-20-2012, 07:02 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, I didn't know Blatty was a Catholic. How old is he now? Good that he's making a stink over this.

He's in his eighties.
That's pretty good for being in his eighties, don't you think? Many people wouldn't have the energy for such causes at that age.
(05-20-2012, 03:27 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: [ -> ]That's pretty good for being in his eighties, don't you think? Many people wouldn't have the energy for such causes at that age.

Octagenarians and nonagenarians are more numerous and vigorous than in past generations.  I think this is true of all older age cohorts.  Some nonagenarians survived the deadly Spanish flu epidemic in 1918 and medical researchers are studying them to find out why they're so healthy.  I know one Spanish flu survivor, now 95, who is healthier and more active than many who are twenty and thirty years younger. 
(05-20-2012, 05:17 AM)Cetil Wrote: [ -> ]I pray and hope for Blatty's success as I also honor the memory of Bishop William Joseph McDonald, rector of Catholic University in 1967 and the only one who refused to sign Land O'Lakes.

C.

CUA remained orthodox for quite some time. I believe they placed Hans Küng under interdict in 1963, when he received an award from President John F. Kennedy.

I know a priest who went to Catholic U. in the early 60s, and he received a solidly orthodox formation in St. Thomas, under the direction of Dominicans and Franciscans.  Before that, he went to a Jesuit university (back when they were actually Catholic), and 13 normal years of Catholic schooling.

Can anyone imagine 20+ years of of orthodox, serious Catholic schooling? What we have lost...
It good to see an influential, truly Catholic person take a stand against these attacks against the Truth.