FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Use's of the Roman Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Besides many Eastern Rite liturgies there were many Uses in the Catholic Church. What is a Use compared to a Rite? What were some of The Uses?  How many Uses were there? How many were in use up till the promulgation of the Novus Ordo.
(05-24-2012, 01:25 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Besides many Eastern Rite liturgies there were many Uses in the Catholic Church. What is a Use compared to a Rite? What were some of The Uses?   How many Uses were there? How many were in use up till the promulgation of the Novus Ordo.

A Use is a variation within a Rite. Virtually every major Diocese/Archdiocese had it's own Use prior to the Reforms of Trent. I have no idea how many there were, but there were two in England alone, York and Sarum. Many of the older Orders also had there own Uses, Benedictine, Dominican, Carmelite, etc.

Trent suppressed any Use that was not at least 200 years old, which got rid of some, the prot Deformation destroyed several more and the Ultramontane movement in the 19th century took care of a few more, Paris included. By the time of the Council there were only a couple of non-'Order' Uses still around, IIRC, and those of the Orders.
(05-24-2012, 01:39 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-24-2012, 01:25 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Besides many Eastern Rite liturgies there were many Uses in the Catholic Church. What is a Use compared to a Rite? What were some of The Uses?   How many Uses were there? How many were in use up till the promulgation of the Novus Ordo.

A Use is a variation within a Rite. Virtually every major Diocese/Archdiocese had it's own Use prior to the Reforms of Trent. I have no idea how many there were, but there were two in England alone, York and Sarum. Many of the older Orders also had there own Uses, Benedictine, Dominican, Carmelite, etc.

Trent suppressed any Use that was not at least 200 years old, which got rid of some, the prot Deformation destroyed several more and the Ultramontane movement in the 19th century took care of a few more, Paris included. By the time of the Council there were only a couple of non-'Order' Uses still around, IIRC, and those of the Orders.

Many of those you call "uses" ... aren't they usually considered separate rites, but related to the Roman Rite?  Religious ones would be the Dominican, Carmelite, Carthusian, and so on.  Geographical rites would be Gallican, Ambrosian, and so on.

In this context, what's the difference between "use" and "rite"?
(05-24-2012, 01:58 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]

Many of those you call "uses" ... aren't they usually considered separate rites, but related to the Roman Rite?  Religious ones would be the Dominican, Carmelite, Carthusian, and so on.  Geographical rites would be Gallican, Ambrosian, and so on.

It is a bit confusing. While we often talk of the 'Sarum Rite' in connection with the returning Anglicans, it was usually referred to as the 'Use of Sarum' in the old days. I personally see it as I explained it, with the the 'Use of Rome' dominant within the Latin Rite.
(05-24-2012, 01:58 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't have a lot to add on this matter, but I believe you are correct.  I'm pretty sure that at least some of those mentioned above are rites.  The Norbertines, for instance, exist entirely within the Roman Church but have their own ancient rite (not use).  I think the same title applies to what the Dominicans, Carmelites, Carthusians, etc. have.  
Wikipedia has a pretty good list of both current and defunct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Liturgical_Rites:
It is my understanding that the Use/Rite distinction has to do with the degree to which one resembles another, and I believe scholars and liturgists debated and debate what are "Uses" of a Mother Rite and what are their own proper Rites.

There is a traditional Mozarabic (a.k.a. Hispanic) Rite that has not yet been mentioned. The See of Lyon (France), which is the Primatial See of France and whose Bishop retains the right to Crown the King, has its own use. New Liturgical Movement had video of part of it recently.
Wasn't there a Rite of Braga in Portugal?  Was there uses in Belgium, Germany, Ireland, the Scandanavian countries or the Latin part of the eastern church?