FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Communion Under Both Kinds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Here's another question: If someone usually attends a TLM where the Eucharist is only offered under the appearance of bread, and they are well enough to attend the Mass, but for health reasons, are not able to eat solid food, what is one supposed to do? Should one just make a Spiritual Communion and just stay seated in their pew?
(05-27-2012, 06:51 PM)spunky76 Wrote: [ -> ]Here's another question: If someone usually attends a TLM where the Eucharist is only offered under the appearance of bread, and they are well enough to attend the Mass, but for health reasons, are not able to eat solid food, what is one supposed to do? Should one just make a Spiritual Communion and just stay seated in their pew?

I'd say that if you're a regular attendee, you should make a special arrangement to receive Communion in the form of wine, either by waiting until the very end of Communion, or arranging to receive it after Mass is over. Live by the spirit of the law, not the letter.
(05-27-2012, 06:56 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2012, 06:51 PM)spunky76 Wrote: [ -> ]Here's another question: If someone usually attends a TLM where the Eucharist is only offered under the appearance of bread, and they are well enough to attend the Mass, but for health reasons, are not able to eat solid food, what is one supposed to do? Should one just make a Spiritual Communion and just stay seated in their pew?

I'd say that if you're a regular attendee, you should make a special arrangement to receive Communion in the form of wine, either by waiting until the very end of Communion, or arranging to receive it after Mass is over. Live by the spirit of the law, not the letter.

In general you can make spiritual Communions but everyone should be able to receive Communion regularly (not necessarily every day or week but still).  So I agree ... the priest can, by special arrangement, consecrate a second chalice, and give it to you first or last.
(05-27-2012, 06:57 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2012, 06:56 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]

In general you can make spiritual Communions but everyone should be able to receive Communion regularly (not necessarily every day or week but still).  So I agree ... the priest can, by special arrangement, consecrate a second chalice, and give it to you first or last.

I know someone who has celiac disease and the priests do this for her.
If I had a condition where I permanently couldn't receive any solid food, I'd consider gifting my church one of those golden straws.
(05-27-2012, 07:02 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]If I had a condition where I permanently couldn't receive any solid food, I'd consider gifting my church one of those golden straws.

???
(05-27-2012, 07:12 PM)spunky76 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2012, 07:02 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]If I had a condition where I permanently couldn't receive any solid food, I'd consider gifting my church one of those golden straws.

???

Using a golden straw was a medieval alternative to having laymen drink directly from the chalice, and was practiced in papal liturgies all the way until Vatican II.
(05-27-2012, 07:18 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2012, 07:12 PM)spunky76 Wrote: [ -> ]

???

Using a golden straw was a medieval alternative to having laymen drink directly from the chalice, and was practiced in papal liturgies all the way until Vatican II.

I did not know that. Very interesting. Thank you!
I receive communion under both species whenever I partake of Holy  Communion at my local Byzantine Chapel; whenever I attend the Traditional Latin Mass, i do not (nor would If I had the option; for I only receive the Sacred Host upon the tongue always in the Roman Mass).
Nevermind.  Spoke too soon.
Pages: 1 2 3 4