FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: # U.S. Lapsed Catholics?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How many lapsed Catholics are there in the U.S.? Has anyone estimated this? Thanks

The Vatican II Renewal: Myth or Reality
by Kenneth C. Jones

Is there any Catholic Left in “Lapsed" Catholics?

Lost? Twenty-Somethings and the Church

The last one says:
Quote:“Roughly of people raised as Catholics in America are no longer practicing Catholics. One third of them are still devout practicing Catholics. One-third no longer call themselves Catholics. One-third of them still call themselves Catholics but I believe are really not involved in the Church. They may be in some inspirational sense Catholic, maybe their views, but they are not at all involved with the Catholic Church.”
It seems like many and many use the sexual scandals and other sins by fallible men to justify there being lapsed. I don't know how hearing about a sexual scandal changes the fact that Jesus died on the cross and is the Savior and he left his church where he said the wheat and tares would grow alongside one another till Judgement Day.
(05-27-2012, 10:44 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]It seems like many and many use the sexual scandals and other sins by fallible men to justify there being lapsed. I don't know how hearing about a sexual scandal changes the fact that Jesus died on the cross and is the Savior and he left his church where he said the wheat and tares would grow alongside one another till Judgement Day.

So true, salus.  And I'd add most of the N.O. churches are likely filled with "lapsed Catholics".  Sure, they show up to Mass on Sunday morning (or SATURDAY night), but ask them a simple basic Catechism question, such as "Why did God make you"?  Many cannot answer this most basic of questions.  I'd say that person is indeed "lapsed".  Oh and how many even believe and follow the basic tenets of Our Holy Faith?  It's a fact, "Catholics" are a great majority of who voted for and helped get that monster Obama elected.  I'd say those are indeed "lapsed". 

You want lapsed Catholics, here ya go....Here is an absolutely scandalous statistic:

"More than half of U.S. Catholics, 54%, voted Tuesday for a presidential candidate at odds with the Church's stance on issues such as abortion and same-sex marriage..."

source: http://www.zenit.org/article-24180?l=english
A friend of mine that went to minor seminary, became a cop, then sargent, had five kids, suffered through all the changes, is still married to the same woman, was a lector, yanked all his kids from Catholic Schools from grammar to colleges, and now says in anger he is a Pelagian. All I'm getting at is it is hard to say how'd you react.

I've told this here many times before. There are a bunch of fallen away Catholics which carry an ember of the faith, but left with the changes in 62,65, and 70. The myth today is they were all liberal sex crazed hippies, they are usually just the opposite. Remember the TLM was saved only in a very few places, many saw it in apocalyptic terms.

tim