FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: New PCED Response says SSPX Mass Does not fulfill the Obligation.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This contradicts current Canon Law:

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2012/05...-sspx.html
That's the exact opposite to what we've been told before. Is this another sign of the schism that is coming ?

tim
Well that's weird.  Especially at this time.
Where does this leave me?  I just began attending First Friday and Saturday devotions only, with the presumption that according to PCED that I could attend SSPX Masses as long as you don't have a "Schismatic mindset" and in anticipation of an agreement between SSPX and Rome that looked so favorable.

I truly like the priest at my chapel.  He seems to be able to speak to me in a way I can understand and I would like to have him as a spiritual director but have been awaiting Rome and an agreement. 

Now what?

I mean - if they are truly saying they are not Catholic - you aren't supposed to attend non-Catholic services.

Also - what is Cruise the Groove (comment section) refering to when he says if the SSPX isn't Catholic then their confessions and absolutions are valid?  If they are not Catholic, how can that be?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am truly confused!!!

Thanks.
I think what Cruise the Groove  is referring to is Canon 844.2:

"Can. 844 §2 - Whenever necessity requires or a genuine spiritual advantage commends it, and provided the danger of error or indifferentism is avoided, Christ's faithful for whom it is physically or morally impossible to approach a Catholic minister, may lawfully receive the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick from non-Catholic ministers in whose Churches these sacraments are valid."

This would mean that if Mons Pozzo letter was correct [and its not] SSPX confessions would be valid.
TLM is the official Latin rite, NO is not (full stop)
To expand on that a little, Catholic confessions and marriages require jurisdiction for validity.  So you can confess to a validly ordained Catholic priest, but if he doesn't have the proper permission to absolve your sins, the confession is not only illicit, but actually invalid as well.  However, those outside the Church are not bound by the Church's laws on jurisdiction, so, for example, an Orthodox priest could validly absolve your sins even though the required jurisdiction is not present, and this is actually licit in an emergency.  A little odd, I know, but that's the way it works.
(05-31-2012, 10:43 AM)cgraye Wrote: [ -> ]To expand on that a little, Catholic confessions and marriages require jurisdiction for validity.  So you can confess to a validly ordained Catholic priest, but if he doesn't have the proper permission to absolve your sins, the confession is not only illicit, but actually invalid as well.  However, those outside the Church are not bound by the Church's laws on jurisdiction, so, for example, an Orthodox priest could validly absolve your sins even though the required jurisdiction is not present, and this is actually licit in an emergency.  A little odd, I know, but that's the way it works.
Correct, and Mons Pozzo of the PCED is saying that the SSPX  is outside the Church and not bound by its jurisdiction, therefore their absolutions are valid, according to him.
From the comments section on Angelqueen:

gheg says:
May 31, 2012 at 10:39 AM I think that the Pontifical Council for Legislative Texts is the only body authorized to issue definitive interpretations of canon law. Therefore, this letter would be a private opinion, as was the previous opinion of Cardinal Castrillon that SSPX Masses DO fulfill the Sunday obligation. In the absence of an authoritative interpretation by the Pontifical Council for Legislative Texts, it seems to me that the faithful can safely follow Cardinal Castrillon’s opinion.

This makes sense to me.
(05-31-2012, 10:12 AM)MaterLaeta Wrote: [ -> ]Where does this leave me?  I just began attending First Friday and Saturday devotions only, with the presumption that according to PCED that I could attend SSPX Masses as long as you don't have a "Schismatic mindset" and in anticipation of an agreement between SSPX and Rome that looked so favorable.

I truly like the priest at my chapel.  He seems to be able to speak to me in a way I can understand and I would like to have him as a spiritual director but have been awaiting Rome and an agreement. 

Now what?

I mean - if they are truly saying they are not Catholic - you aren't supposed to attend non-Catholic services.

Also - what is Cruise the Groove (comment section) refering to when he says if the SSPX isn't Catholic then their confessions and absolutions are valid?  If they are not Catholic, how can that be?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am truly confused!!!

Thanks.

This wouldn't affect you anyway.

If you read the letter, they say you don't fulfil your obligation at the Mass but also that you don't commit sin unless you're relying on it for your obligation. So going on First Fridays and Saturdays only, and then to an approved Mass on Sunday, would be fine even by this letter.

It's still odd, though. I'm pretty sure they've said it fulfils the obligation in the past (haven't they?). This could just be another attempt to undermine the current reconciliation process.
Pages: 1 2 3