FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Hay Fever: Natural Treatments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a yearly annoyance since my late teen years. It is a seasonal allergy which makes breathing (and therefore, life) not so pleasant. It is a grass allergy. Of all things, I have to be sensitive to something which is everywhere.

I do not take drugs, so perhaps others with similar problems have found their relief. But in case one has not, it is June now (June 11) and I should be at near the worst of it, but this time, I am clear and happy.

I read it in May, and it is not a drug or even something which is not technically food, so I tried it.

Stinging Nettle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle) is apparently something people used for it (it can be cooked and eaten, or eaten raw, however, it can be gotten in supplemental form too). I decided to try it, in freeze dried form (a little tablet). I guess it works.

So, if anybody could use this information, I recommend trying freeze dried stinging nettle.

Another herbal supplements for this I saw recommended is Butterbur. Quercetin and bromelain (extracted from plants) are also said to be effective too.

Neti pot, and don't look back.

[Image: neti-pot.jpg]
(06-11-2012, 01:26 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: [ -> ]Neti pot, and don't look back.

[Image: neti-pot.jpg]

Paganism.

Look back if one is in the Church.

This yogic technique may have the side effect of nasal irrigation, but it is fundamentally a part of "yoga" and has many metaphysical elements which are against truth. EDIT: Using "neti" itself has metaphysical elements.

If one wants to clean out one's nasal passages like that, a proper medical device and medically approved substance should be used.

Otherwise, the human body cleans out all of its own orifices naturally and effectively. No aid is needed unless there is a medical problem (ie, like those that accompany allergies). Using methods to clean oneself like that are bad, and those which are based directly on paganism or other falsehoods should be avoided for any reason.

Hindu faiths, Islam, and other false beliefs have elements which are presented to be attractive to all.

Using a "neti" pot is totally unnecessary and inappropriate for nasal irrigation for a medical purpose.
You're kidding right? Ha! Porcelain pot, salt, and water. Pagan! Sorry, I can't go there with you. My sinuses feel great.

Add: It is tantamount to what happens when you swim in the sea.
I'll have to try the stinging nettle.  I've heard good things about vitamin D helping with allergies.  One thing that helps me is Mullein tincture. 

The Neti pot scares me. 
(06-11-2012, 04:29 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: [ -> ]You're kidding right? Ha! Porcelain pot, salt, and water. Pagan! Sorry, I can't go there with you. My sinuses feel great.

Add: It is tantamount to what happens when you swim in the sea.

Why would I make a grave correction so publicly about a spiritual danger if I were not serious?

"Neti", by definition and nature, is part of Shatkarma, ritual cleansing of a pagan religious family. The "pot" and the term are directly from a pagan rite, and it just happens to actually nasally irrigate.

And as I wrote if you wish to do that, you should use a proper medical device for it. They exist you know. There is no reason to use elements of paganism just because it has a side effect you desire.

There is nothing spiritually wrong with nasal irrigation, but neti is way more than that. Read up on it and you will see. I am warning you of the danger, one you may not have known. Now you know.
(06-11-2012, 04:46 PM)Joamy Wrote: [ -> ]I'll have to try the stinging nettle.  I've heard good things about vitamin D helping with allergies.  One thing that helps me is Mullein tincture. 
Get the "freeze dried" version. I went for the best price for the 120 tablet bottle. I think it was about $7 or something.

Quote:The Neti pot scares me. 
Nasal irrigation is often recommended, however, I do not think it addresses the underlying allergy. Also, I would never have tried that in the state I would be in if I did not have the nettle. I would be so congested...it wouldn't be pretty. Before, I used apple cider vinegar. That worked to decongest, but it was most uncomfortable and messy.

EDIT: Messy and uncomfortable because of how quickly it worked and how congested I was. It allowed me to breathe quickly in the morning when I was the worst, however, it did nothing for the rest of the symptoms and discomfort. I drank/gargled it as best I could in water. Be near a sink if this is tried.
Quite frankly that fact of having water and salt go through one side of my nose....and then up, around, and out the other.....frightens the allergies away!

Have you tried making tea with the plant?

You can also boil it with a cup of sugar, and when the sugar is dissolved, let it sit somewhere cool for a day. Then, drink away! May not taste heavenly, but that's what the sugar is for.
(06-11-2012, 09:12 PM)Rosarium Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:The Neti pot scares me. 
Nasal irrigation is often recommended, however, I do not think it addresses the underlying allergy. Also, I would never have tried that in the state I would be in if I did not have the nettle. I would be so congested...it wouldn't be pretty. Before, I used apple cider vinegar. That worked to decongest, but it was most uncomfortable and messy.

EDIT: Messy and uncomfortable because of how quickly it worked and how congested I was. It allowed me to breathe quickly in the morning when I was the worst, however, it did nothing for the rest of the symptoms and discomfort. I drank/gargled it as best I could in water. Be near a sink if this is tried.
I get a generic dollar store version of saline spray (like Ayr).  That helps.  The mullien tincture really helps the congestion for me. 
(06-12-2012, 08:12 AM)Joamy Wrote: [ -> ]I get a generic dollar store version of saline spray (like Ayr).  That helps.  The mullien tincture really helps the congestion for me. 

I'm content with my herbs, however, I wonder, what is the primary benefit of the saline spray? Does it more than just clean when it is used?
Pages: 1 2 3