FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Priest Doesn't Seem to Know How To Give Communion on the Tongue...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thankfully, I now have access on Sundays to a much more reverent parish. The only real problem is that the priest doesn't seem to know how to administer Holy Communion on the tongue. He just holds the Host out in the air and I have to sort of lean in and catch it. This last Sunday, he actually started moving the Host back toward himself, really really slowly, making it really difficult.

I don't think that many people receive on the tongue here, so maybe the priest just lacks practice, but the whole thing is immensely awkward. There's no paten, and I'm terrified of one day either misjudging the distance or somehow causing the Host to fall (I have horrible depth perception).

Is this method of administering Communion common?  I've never come across it before, and I'm unsure of how to deal with it. It doesn't help that I'm really shy and have trouble initiating conversations.  :blush:
(06-12-2012, 04:53 PM)Deidre Wrote: [ -> ]Thankfully, I now have access on Sundays to a much more reverent parish. The only real problem is that the priest doesn't seem to know how to administer Holy Communion on the tongue. He just holds the Host out in the air and I have to sort of lean in and catch it. This last Sunday, he actually started moving the Host back toward himself, really really slowly, making it really difficult.

I don't think that many people receive on the tongue here, so maybe the priest just lacks practice, but the whole thing is immensely awkward. There's no paten, and I'm terrified of one day either misjudging the distance or somehow causing the Host to fall (I have horrible depth perception).

Is this method of administering Communion common?  I've never come across it before, and I'm unsure of how to deal with it. It doesn't help that I'm really shy and have trouble initiating conversations.  :blush:

I've not had that happen to me before.  Typically I find that if a priest doesn't really like giving Communion on the tongue, he will try to shove it in your mouth as fast as he can, which means that you don't have time to say "Amen" like some many of them want.  At the same time, I've been blasted because I haven't said "Amen".  To me it's a no-win situation with certain priests. 
(06-12-2012, 04:53 PM)Deidre Wrote: [ -> ]Is this method of administering Communion common?  I've never come across it before, and I'm unsure of how to deal with it. It doesn't help that I'm really shy and have trouble initiating conversations.  :blush:

For the time I was with a NO parish where receiving in the hand was common, I never had a priest confused about how to distribute communion according to the norms of the Roman Rite.

The priest should be instructed, and that is not your job (although, if the opportunity comes up, it could be discussed).

However, it seems to be a lack of familiarity with the method. I have a longish beard, and even careful experienced alter servers hold the paten too high so when I receive I am careful to pull my beard back so it doesn't brush the surface of the paten.

I guess they have habits about the movements and when something new happens, they have trouble adapting. He should get better with some experience, so I would recommend receiving as you would. Eventually he will realise that he should not move away, and then realise you expect him to place it in your mouth.
Goodness! Is he perhaps a younger, inexperienced priest? That is the only reasonable explanation I can think of, and even at that, if you make it out of a semenary you should be able to figure out how to administer communion on the tongue.
No, he's pretty old: he mentioned that this month marks his 46th year as a priest! That's partly why it struck me as so odd, since at the least he would remember receiving this way himself.  ???
(06-13-2012, 01:43 PM)Deidre Wrote: [ -> ]No, he's pretty old: he mentioned that this month marks his 46th year as a priest! That's partly why it struck me as so odd, since at the least he would remember receiving this way himself.  ???

Not to judge, but it's quite possible that he just doesn't like distributing in that manner and is playing games. It's not unheard of for a priest to play games with the sacraments.
(06-13-2012, 01:47 PM)Lee Timmer Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-13-2012, 01:43 PM)Deidre Wrote: [ -> ]No, he's pretty old: he mentioned that this month marks his 46th year as a priest! That's partly why it struck me as so odd, since at the least he would remember receiving this way himself.  ???

Not to judge, but it's quite possible that he just doesn't like distributing in that manner and is playing games. It's not unheard of for a priest to play games with the sacraments.

Quite true.  I once heard a story about a man who knelt to receive.  The priest started walking circles around that man.  I also personally encountered a priest who would laugh out loud at anyone who received kneeling.