FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is Religious Freedom wrong?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
A basic question at this point:  Is it wrong for a country to have freedom of religion? 

I listened to a discussion with Charles Colombe lately, and at the end of the discussion (about Americanism), he was talking about how "freedom of religion" is actually a bad idea, and possibly quite a wrong thing to have. 

I've not seen any plain discussions about the subject...at least not at the level I'm trying to introduce it.  So, what do you guys think?
In short, it's wrong because it puts error on the same level as truth.
Sharia law is great.  Oh wait. 
Yes it's wrong because error has no rights.  People don't have the right to ignore God or blaspheme, or be idolatrous.  This was condemned in Quanta Cura, and Pius IX calls it religious liberty "liberty of perdition."
Absolument oui.
Okay.  However, can we try to avoid smart short replies. 

Basically, I am interested in a comprehensive answer.  If I am to adopt this as a new viewpoint, I ought to hear more about it.  I'm getting into a few new things lately...and I basically need some tutelage, here.
I guess I've never researched it anymore because for me the quick reply I gave you has always been a suitable enough answer.  I'm not the intellectual type, so you'll have to ask another person for a long answer.

Laramie,

Religious freedom/liberty has been repeatedly condemned by the Church. See Pope Gregory XVI's Mirari Vos, where he calls it an insanity. Pope Pius IX condemned it in the Syllabus.

If a man has a right to choose error, to choose an evil, false religion, then error has rights. It would be like saying we have a right to contraception, or to murder. It's an absurdity, and a huge insult to Our Lord.
(06-13-2012, 11:56 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: [ -> ]Laramie,

Religious freedom/liberty has been repeatedly condemned by the Church. See Pope Gregory XVI's Mirari Vos, where he calls it an insanity. Pope Pius IX condemned it in the Syllabus.

If a man has a right to choose error, to choose an evil, false religion, then error has rights. It would be like saying we have a right to contraception, or to murder. It's an absurdity, and a huge insult to Our Lord.

Yeah, and so is the Novus Ordo.  How can we expect a State to get it right when the Church can't get it right?

(06-14-2012, 12:03 AM)PeterII Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-13-2012, 11:56 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: [ -> ]Laramie,

Yeah, and so is the Novus Ordo.  How can we expect a State to get it right when the Church can't get it right?

That's where we agree to disagree.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5