FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Teaching catechism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My cousin, who is eight or nine, is a little behind on her religious education. She is rather fond of me, so I thought I'd take the opportunity this summer to tutor her over the catechism. We've been meeting twice a week for about an hour each time. Since Sunday was Corpus Christi, we went over the Sacrifice of the Mass this week. The next class will be her first quiz, which I've just written. Tell me what you think of it!

What is the definition of a sacrifice? A ________ to _______. 

What do you call someone who offers a sacrifice? A ___________.

In one word, what is the Mass? A  __________.

Who offers the sacrifice?  __________. 

What does He offer? His _________ and _________ under the appearances of __________ and ____________.

To whom does He offer the sacrifice? To ________.

Who is the the main priest of the Mass? __________.

What priest does the main priest offer the Mass through? ___________.

Is the Mass the same sacrifice as Christ’s sacrifice on the cross? Yes / No

The priest who offered the sacrifice of the cross was ________, and the main priest who offers the sacrifice of the Mass is _________.

The gift to God offered at the sacrifice of the cross was ________, and the gift offered to God at the sacrifice of the Mass is _________.

Did Christ suffer and die on the cross? Yes / No

Does Christ suffer and die at Mass? Yes / No 

R.

I think it might be a little too complicated for an 8 or 9 year old. You would know though, and if you think she can answer this quiz, go for it! I wish I had a cousin when I was 8 to discuss the Faith with. God will certainly bless you for explaining the Holy Faith to a little one. She is getting a priceless education, and you taking this task is admirable!
Sounds pretty good, although a lot for an 8 year old to take in. I teach a class of 8 year olds catechism and for the class on the Mass made up a worksheet listing the four ends of the Mass arranged around a picture. The kids had to write one thing in each category they could adore God for, thank God for, ask God for, and say sorry to God for at the next Mass they attended. That worked fairly well, although these kids are all from lapsed families with no catechism at all so that might be a bit too basic for your cousin.
Thank you for the tips. I am definitely going to try to simplify it (the quiz specifically, but also the whole tutorial sessions generally) now. We have been going through the New St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism #1 (the one with all the instructive and sometimes humorous pictures), which is supposed to be for students about her age. Instead of trying to go over everything in each of the chapters we cover, I'm instead just going to highlight the most important things. Also, I've now been thinking about a couple of art project type things we could do.
I think it is pretty good and not too complicated. I just gave it to my youngest who just turned 10 and he was able to answer them all.
(06-14-2012, 04:30 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]My cousin, who is eight or nine, is a little behind on her religious education. She is rather fond of me, so I thought I'd take the opportunity this summer to tutor her over the catechism. We've been meeting twice a week for about an hour each time. Since Sunday was Corpus Christi, we went over the Sacrifice of the Mass this week. The next class will be her first quiz, which I've just written. Tell me what you think of it!

What is the definition of a sacrifice? A ________ to _______. 

What do you call someone who offers a sacrifice? A ___________.

In one word, what is the Mass? A  __________.

Who offers the sacrifice?  __________. 

What does He offer? His _________ and _________ under the appearances of __________ and ____________.

To whom does He offer the sacrifice? To ________.

Who is the the main priest of the Mass? __________.

What priest does the main priest offer the Mass through? ___________.

Is the Mass the same sacrifice as Christ’s sacrifice on the cross? Yes / No

The priest who offered the sacrifice of the cross was ________, and the main priest who offers the sacrifice of the Mass is _________.

The gift to God offered at the sacrifice of the cross was ________, and the gift offered to God at the sacrifice of the Mass is _________.

Did Christ suffer and die on the cross? Yes / No

Does Christ suffer and die at Mass? Yes / No 

With some of these, I'm not sure what answers you're after. For ex.,  "What is the definition of a sacrifice? A ________ to _______. 

" --  I'm not sure what word you're looking for in the first blank. I'm assuming you're thinking "God" for the second blank, but there are other sacrifices other than the Great Sacrifice made by Jesus. Husbands and wives sacrifice for each other, etc.  And that goes to #2:  not everyone who makes a sacrifice is a priest (I'm assuming that's the word you're wanting there). We're all meant to make sacrifices as members of the royal priesthood, for ex. (see http://www.fisheaters.com/offeringitup.html) Maybe starting out with "what is a sacrifice?" and getting a more dictionary definition from her, and then narrowing it down to talk of Christ's Sacrifice so she won't hear the word "sacrifice" and think it only refers to Christ's offering Himself up to the Father. Imagine the kid hearing, for ex., a teacher saying, "you have to work and make sacrifices to do well in school" after learning that a "sacrifice" is Jesus offering Himself. Might be confusing...

I don't think it's necessarily too much for an 8-year old, depending on the kid. But I'm finding some of the ways you're describing things to be a little "too unique," I guess is how I'd put it. Phrases like "the main priest" might be understood by her to be a phrase typically used to refer to Our Lord.. KWIM?

In any case, it's so great what you're doing in catechizing this kid! That has to be so rewarding :)
I couldn't get past #1. Are you guys German?