FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Letting Go and Letting God
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was recommended a book by a traditional Franciscan priest, it is a great book except for one thing what if for some reason you are unable to abandon yourself completely to God and you tend to hang on to worries and fears, how can you break free of that, it seems only a miracle will let me loosen up.

The book is Called:          SEARCHING FOR AND MAINTAINING PEACE  BY  FATHER JACQUES PHILIPPE
I cannot recommend this book enough. It is an excellent, drug free, approach to treating depression. It has helped me and others tremendously. It cuts the "feeling" of depression at the root and attacks your mode of thought which is leading you to feel this way. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

http://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Good-The-M...0380810336
(06-14-2012, 07:23 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]I was recommended a book by a traditional Franciscan priest, it is a great book except for one thing what if for some reason you are unable to abandon yourself completely to God and you tend to hang on to worries and fears, how can you break free of that, it seems only a miracle will let me loosen up.

The book is Called:          SEARCHING FOR AND MAINTAINING PEACE  BY  FATHER JACQUES PHILIPPE

Yes, it's a wonderful little book. Its short but packed with solid helps.
Unfortunately you can read book after book that will help but what if you seem to have trouble attempting to put this good advice into practice please pray this block i have God will get rid of.
(06-14-2012, 07:23 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]I was recommended a book by a traditional Franciscan priest, it is a great book except for one thing what if for some reason you are unable to abandon yourself completely to God and you tend to hang on to worries and fears, how can you break free of that, it seems only a miracle will let me loosen up.

Of this, I am not referring to the book but to the subject heading:  Letting Go and letting God  "Let go, Let God" I believe is the mantra of Alcoholics Anonymous.  Isn't this a kind of defeatist abandonment, it's like, I can't do it myself, don't have the will, will just let go and let God, as somebody put it:  "Let go, let God," meaning, let go of what troubles you or has caused turmoil in your life, and let God take care of it. Many houses of worship promote, and many followers believe, that God is all-knowing, all-healing, and can perform miracles to remedy even the most dire situations, so best to simply hand over your troubles to God. For a survivor of violent trauma, however, this approach to faith and living may be very difficult to take on."

God has said, "Without my help you can do nothing; but without your help I can do nothing (I cannot help you)."  God will help only those who help themselves or else with complete abandonment everybody will just let go and RELY on God's providence.  I don't think this is the Catholic attitude.

It's just like the dictum, "WWJD" (What will Jesus do).  This may cause an error in conscience if one's conscience is not well formed.  One can justify a bad action and justify it with WWJD, and result in, Oh well, I think it's okay with him.

Just saying. 
Good correction Vicentius  ty!
(06-14-2012, 08:02 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately you can read book after book that will help but what if you seem to have trouble attempting to put this good advice into practice please pray this block i have God will get rid of.

:pray2:
Vincentius,

And yet, didn't St. Augustine have to admit defeat before God converted him to Himself?
Yeah.
I have a malformed conscience myself, and I can't discern well what Jesus would do in a given scenario. I think that He would love others but I don't know how to do that the right way all the time. I understand how the "I suck" mentality does bad things. I've been struggling with self esteem issues since a child and that can be a terrible thing to dwell on.

S. Augustine, pray for me, a sinner, who doesn't believe God forced your conversion
Brief sayings such as "WWJD" and "Let go and let God" of course can be very dangerous if not understood wisely.  But still they can sometimes be helpful..

Here is a saying by St. Augustine that OBVIOUSLY needs to be carefully understood:

"Ama Deum, et fac quod vis."
"Love God and do what you will."

Very few people have such great love, a will that conforms to God's will so perfectly.  But St. Augustine is saying that our true happiness is willing what God wills.
Pages: 1 2