FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Traditional Seminarian vs Novus Ordo Seminarian
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
What is the difference between these seminarians if both are orthodox?
(06-15-2012, 10:43 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]What is the difference between these seminarians if both are orthodox?

Preference. Tastes. Just niceties and externals.
(06-15-2012, 10:43 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]What is the difference between these seminarians if both are orthodox?

Not sure I understand what you are asking here but if both are orthodox (meaning traditional) when they enter the seminary, the one who goes through the NO seminary won't exit it that way after +4 years of modernist indoctrination.
(06-16-2012, 05:43 AM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]

Not sure I understand what you are asking here but if both are orthodox (meaning traditional) when they enter the seminary, the one who goes through the NO seminary won't exit it that way after +4 years of modernist indoctrination.
That isn't necessarily true.  There are quite a few priests coming out of NO seminaries now who say their first Masses -- and sometimes even some of their private Masses -- in the EF.
Depends on the seminary!
(06-16-2012, 11:40 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]

That isn't necessarily true.  There are quite a few priests coming out of NO seminaries now who say their first Masses -- and sometimes even some of their private Masses -- in the EF.

That certainly is not a good thing - for a modernist to train a trad that is.

Next time you come across one from a NO seminary, try to get a straight answer out of him as to why the TLM is the EF.

Not true in the slightest. I've known a number of priests who were smart enough to fly under the radar for 4 years and then emerged ready to unleash their crypto-traditionalism into the diocese. These are the kinds of Priests we need. How do you think the Modernists infiltrated the Church in such an efficient manner? They didn't form coalitions, fraternities, or societies. Rather, they played the game within the normative structures of the Church and subverted her from within. It'd behoove us to imitate the same tactics.
(06-16-2012, 05:02 PM)Joshua Wrote: [ -> ]

Not true in the slightest. I've known a number of priests who were smart enough to fly under the radar for 4 years and then emerged ready to unleash their crypto-traditionalism into the diocese. These are the kinds of Priests we need. How do you think the Modernists infiltrated the Church in such an efficient manner? They didn't form coalitions, fraternities, or societies. Rather, they played the game within the normative structures of the Church and subverted her from within. It'd behoove us to imitate the same tactics.

I agree with you, Joshua. I have a huge amount of respect for Priests who choose to take this route. I know of several Priests who are doing just as you mentioned and they have gained quite a following. I applaud them wildly for it.  Granted, the seminarian or Priest going this route must keep orthadoxy solid in his mind and heart, and must cling faithfully to his mission, but it can and is being done. These brave Priestly souls certainly have their place in restoring tradition. God be with them!
What about the value of a completely orthodox formation? Will they turn out to be the priests that they were meant to be? Besides, are they not putting their souls at risk in such an environment?
I asked an FSSP priest and an FSSP seminarian about the theology taught in the NO seminaries..... they just looked at each other and couldn't answer..

Maybe partly because FSSP as a rule don't talk negatively about NO clergy or practices (because they are bound to obey the local bishop), or maybe they truly didn't know.

SSPX and FSSP are Thomastic. N.O., who knows.

Good question though.

I've always given the analogy of the traditional priest is like a old-school swimming instructor, he'll teach you how to swim to avoid drowning.

The NO priest being like a new-age swimming instructor, he'll say how great it is to all be in the pool, don't worry, he'll try never to mention drowning, or the bottom of the pool, and as long as we're kicking in the water, we'll be ok.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14