FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Mass in Cemetery Chapels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Don't you think it's kinda depressing to have the Bishop put your Latin Mass community in the cemetery chapel as has been done in the SAn Diego and now Monterey dioceses, I can't see how this will bring newbie's to the mass, especially kids every week or weekdays if there is a daily mass. I know all the theological arguments will be thrown at me but how many of you visit the cemetery every week or daily.
(06-16-2012, 07:23 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Don't you think it's kinda depressing to have the Bishop put your Latin Mass community in the cemetery chapel as has been done in the SAn Diego and now Monterey dioceses, I can't see how this will bring newbie's to the mass, especially kids every week or weekdays if there is a daily mass.

Huh... that's odd... ya know, "if I didn't know any better," I'd say it's as if the bishop doesn't want it to succeed??

Hmmm...

...oh wait, he probably doesn't want it to succeed.  LOL
(06-16-2012, 07:23 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Don't you think it's kinda depressing to have the Bishop put your Latin Mass community in the cemetery chapel as has been done in the SAn Diego and now Monterey dioceses, I can't see how this will bring newbie's to the mass, especially kids every week or weekdays if there is a daily mass. I know all the theological arguments will be thrown at me but how many of you visit the cemetery every week or daily.

I know a diocesan priest who had to drive miles away to have Mass said at a social hall. He also had to use a mental ward/hospital chapel, or get up at 6AM to use a side chapel (which no longer exists since the church has been wreckovated).
tmw89 Wrote:Huh... that's odd... ya know, "if I didn't know any better," I'd say it's as if the bishop doesn't want it to succeed??

Hmmm...

...oh wait, he probably doesn't want it to succeed.   LOL

Just wait for the next appointee. He'll be "conservative," or "trad-friendly," as they now say.
lol.  The best part will be when somebody comes in and tells us that "he's not so bad," "he's actually a very good bishop if you take it all in context," blah blah blah.
I think having Mass in a cemetery chapel would be wonderful!  Of course, I try to visit a cemetery to pray for the dead (esp. my family!), but I'm a fan of cemeteries.

Plus, it's good symbolism.  Trads are relegated to the catacombs in the crisis.
Crusader who do you think will be the next Archbishop of San Francisco, my pick would be 2 of Cardinal Levada's appointees(Remember he's on the Congregation for Bishops) either Bishop John Wester of Salt Lake City or Bishop Randolph Calvo of Reno both modernists. Though the Pope appointed 2 orthodox bishops (Cordileone and Vasa) to nearby dioceses of Oakland and Santa Rosa gives me a slight hope. But i think the papacy has given up on San Francisco and made it a liberal see just like the republicans have given up San FRancisco to the Democrats.
(06-16-2012, 08:33 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Crusader who do you think will be the next Archbishop of San Francisco, my pick would be 2 of Cardinal Levada's appointees(Remember he's on the Congregation for Bishops) either Bishop John Wester of Salt Lake City or Bishop Randolph Calvo of Reno both modernists. Though the Pope appointed 2 orthodox bishops (Cordileone and Vasa) to nearby dioceses of Oakland and Santa Rosa gives me a slight hope. But i think the papacy has given up on San Francisco and made it a liberal see just like the republicans have given up San FRancisco to the Democrats.

In the end it's Benedict XVI's appointee, not Leveda. If I had to guess it would be one of the good ol' boys as you mentioned. Cordileone and Vasa are "conservative," meaning they interpret and implement the Revolution, Vatican II, in a "conservative" way.

I was in the Oakland Cathedral and wondered how could this architecture, the block versus populum "altar," be considered equivalent to any traditional Catholic architecture. Yes, I know Cordileone didn't design it, but still, millions of dollars from the Faithful have been blown.

The Vatican should not just give up or cede this archdiocese. Even if it means sending someone here yet losing all of the churches and chancery to occupiers, and the actual faithful need to have field Masses or garage Masses. Quite frankly, liberals aren't Catholic if this is used in a theological sense. Any liberal cleric needs to be fired and removed. If they refuse and occupy the buildings, so be it. Conservatives always make this a liberal-conservative paradigm when in reality it's Catholic or non-Catholic.

At the end of the day, a "liberal" or a "conservative" will be named. Two wings of the same revolutionary bird. Until a traditional Catholic once again sits in this archepiscopal throne, I won't be affected. I'm still gonna attend the True Mass at the local SSPX chapel or the independent chapel which I currently attend. Good Catholics will still seek out the traditional Catholic sacraments, Catholic parents will have their children confirmed by a trad bishop, and so forth.
(06-16-2012, 07:47 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I think having Mass in a cemetery chapel would be wonderful!  Of course, I try to visit a cemetery to pray for the dead (esp. my family!), but I'm a fan of cemeteries.

Plus, it's good symbolism.  Trads are relegated to the catacombs in the crisis.

CC summed up much of what I was composing, and he said it very well.  If a Catholic (trad or otherwise) has some kind of phobia about cemeteries, they have BIG issues, emotional and / or spiritual.  At the last Holy Year (the millennial 2000), and in past Holy Years from what I've read, special indulgences were granted for visiting Catholic cemeteries and Catholic graves in non Catholic cemeteries, as the grave, crypt, or niche is blessed at the internment.  It is something ALL Catholics should be doing, especially if they have family or close friends there.

That all said, there could be a lot of reasons behind the decision:

The cemetery chapel perhaps is available at more convenient times than a parish church with multiple Masses might be.

It may be available at no cost (good marketing for the cemetery to have people come visit) and all of the collection plate can go to support the priest and the other apostolates of the community.  If Mass were at a parish church it would be reasonable that a portion of the plate would go to help pay utilities and maintenance costs of the building.

There is usually adequate parking, which might not be true for some inner city churches.

It may provide a more convenient or centralized location that available churches.

Having their own proprietary venue might give the community more visibility than sharing space in a parish church, where the TLM is one Mass among several.

Even if the real reason is that the bishop is a "donkey's hind end", at least consecrated space is being made available, and the catacomb analogy is apropos.
(06-16-2012, 07:32 PM)tmw89 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-16-2012, 07:23 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Don't you think it's kinda depressing to have the Bishop put your Latin Mass community in the cemetery chapel as has been done in the SAn Diego and now Monterey dioceses, I can't see how this will bring newbie's to the mass, especially kids every week or weekdays if there is a daily mass.

Huh... that's odd... ya know, "if I didn't know any better," I'd say it's as if the bishop doesn't want it to succeed??

Hmmm...

...oh wait, he probably doesn't want it to succeed.   LOL

It certainly backfired on Bp. Brom in San Diego.
Pages: 1 2