FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bishops in Pope St. Pius X's episcopal lineage?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Which bishops today are in Pope St. Pius X's episcopal lineage?

I know at least Bp. Victor Benito Galeone of St. Augustine, FL, is in Pope St. Pius X's lineage. I figured he was good stuff when I found out about his overtly anti-contraception pastoral letter "Marriage: A Communion of Life and Love," which says: "With rare exceptions, because of our silence we bishops and priests are to blame" for why so many Catholics contracept.
Bishops Kelly and Santay (SSPV) are of St. Pius X's episcopal lineage. See here.
(06-17-2012, 05:45 AM)INPEFESS Wrote: [ -> ]Bishops Kelly and Sanborn (SSPV) are of St. Pius X's episcopal lineage. See here.

Maybe Sanborn is, but seeing as how you wrote the name right after +Kelly and put (SSPV) right after the names, sure you're not talking about +Santay?
Discussing lineage is fine, but remember you can't pass down saintliness or for that matter worldliness etc...
Episcopal lineages are interesting from a historical perspective, but we have to remember that all bishops derive their lineage from the apostles and ultimately from Christ Himself. One particular line isn't better or holier than any other, since all that is transmitted through the sacrament of order is from Christ through the apostles.
This web page shows all Bishops consecrated by St. Pius X: http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/bishop/bsartogm.html (Under "Principal Consecrator of"), and each of their pages will show their successors, etc.
(06-17-2012, 10:09 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-17-2012, 05:45 AM)INPEFESS Wrote: [ -> ]Bishops Kelly and Sanborn (SSPV) are of St. Pius X's episcopal lineage. See here.

Maybe Sanborn is, but seeing as how you wrote the name right after +Kelly and put (SSPV) right after the names, sure you're not talking about +Santay?

:doh:

You are quite right. I thought something looked strange, but I didn't occur to me what it was. Thanks!
I recently read something on Jimmy Akin I didn't realize -- he says that 91% of the current Catholic hierarchy traces their lineage back to one Cardinal Scipione Rebiba (1504 - 1577) and we’re not entirely sure who consecrated Rebiba. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scipione_Rebiba
It kinda bums me out that the Apostolic Church can't seem to *actually* trace the priesthood back to Christ.  It's like we have to stop after the first 800-1000 years.  Kind of a bummer.
(06-17-2012, 03:01 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]Discussing lineage is fine, but remember you can't pass down saintliness or for that matter worldliness etc...
(06-17-2012, 02:08 PM)OldMan Wrote: [ -> ]One particular line isn't better or holier than any other
So all lines contain equally holy bishops? That's not what I've noticed, at least in the short-term.

Lineage doesn't matter for the validity of the sacrament, that's true; but "like father, like son" doesn't apply to bishops, at least to some degree?
Pages: 1 2