FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope Benedict says the reasons for clerical abuse are still ‘a mystery’
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
"Oh Dear" is all I can say in response to such blindness...:

"POPE Benedict yesterday claimed the explanation for the clerical abuse of children remained a "mystery" and added that the scandals had undermined the church's message.

But the Pontiff did not directly engage with abuse survivors in his much-anticipated pre-recorded video address to Irish Catholics at the close of the Eucharistic Congress.

Nor did he reiterate the apology offered in his pastoral letter, which was issued in March 2010.

In a message to tens of thousands of people in Dublin's Croke Park, 120 words out of the 1,167 that made up the address were devoted to the clerical abuse issue.

Pilgrims greeted the message with three rounds of applause and a standing ovation.

"Thankfulness and joy at such a great history of faith and love have recently been shaken in an appalling way by the revelation of sins committed by priests and consecrated persons against people entrusted to their care," Pope Benedict said.

"Instead of showing them the path towards Christ, towards God, instead of bearing witness to his goodness, they abused people and undermined the credibility of the church's message.

"How are we to explain the fact that people who regularly received the Lord's body and confessed their sins in the sacrament of penance have offended in this way? It remains a mystery."

The papal message was seen by many pilgrims as the high-point of the closing ceremony -- or Statio Orbis -- of the 50th International Eucharistic Congress."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/...40806.html
Not a mystery at all.......

As I see it Pope Benedict XVI is a Professor and his mind lives in abstracted Ivory Towers. HH has little understanding of "nuts and bolts". Ask him something on Philosophy or Theology and he'll wax forever. He isn't alone. These guys all want to be this. No one wants to say Mass and hear confessions, or visit Mr. Mc Hoverframus and explain to him if he hits his wife once more Fr. Kick yourbutt will come visit. All of them think being Albertus Magnus will work, when being a working fisherman, and not undestanding Paul, is why Peter was the first Pope. It's time to stop parsing words and ge back to working.

tim
(06-18-2012, 08:55 AM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]As I see it Pope Benedict XVI is a Professor and his mind lives in abstracted Ivory Towers. HH has little understanding of "nuts and bolts". Ask him something on Philosophy or Theology and he'll wax forever. He isn't alone. These guys all want to be this. No one wants to say Mass and hear confessions, or visit Mr. Mc Hoverframus and explain to him if he hits his wife once more Fr. Kick yourbutt will come visit. All of them think being Albertus Magnus will work, when being a working fisherman, and not undestanding Paul, is why Peter was the first Pope. It's time to stop parsing words and ge back to working.

tim

I think your being very charitable here Tim.If a mere pew warmer like myself  knows about the problems in the Seminaries then those at the top must also be aware.
A comment made under the article points our a serious issue with this belligerent lack of understanding of the problem:

"Explaining it away as "a mystery" allows them to keep avoiding, in their minds, responsibility for what happened. But that surely raises the very real prospect of the church's "safeguards" for the protection of children against future abuse being totally worthless. If the reasons for previous abuse are a "mystery" how can they prevent future "mysteries" from happening?"
(06-18-2012, 08:36 AM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]Not a mystery at all.......

You will find trying to make the case against homosexuality rather than paedophilia a hard one.
(06-18-2012, 09:20 AM)TraditionalistThomas Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-18-2012, 08:36 AM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]Not a mystery at all.......

You will find trying to make the case against homosexuality rather than paedophilia a hard one.

How about Homosexual pedophilia?
(06-18-2012, 09:20 AM)TraditionalistThomas Wrote: [ -> ]You will find trying to make the case against homosexuality rather than paedophilia a hard one.

Not hard at all. Queers are queer and when Holy Mother the Church stopped condemning them and started welcoming them in, in droves, well, you know the rest of the story.
(06-18-2012, 09:25 AM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-18-2012, 09:20 AM)TraditionalistThomas Wrote: [ -> ]You will find trying to make the case against homosexuality rather than paedophilia a hard one.

Not hard at all. Queers are queer and when Holy Mother the Church stopped condemning them and started welcoming them in, in droves, well, you know the rest of the story.
This is a FACT! As HR said if we know about this, then the people at the time must also know about this.
I might have lost some of you because I wasn't deep enough. When you become an intellectual you starting drilling down to find reasons, and the big picture goes away. It's the old can't see the forrest for the trees. They consult "experts" in an effort to get at the "cause", instead of fixing it in the here and now, and Trusting in the Lord to take care of the rest.

tim
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15