FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Was "ecumenism" condemned totally? Or only "false ecumenism"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello again,

I'm slightly confused. My question is exactly as in the title. There are quotes from various saints condemning "ecumenism", but I'm not sure whether to understand their condemnations as against false ecumenism or ecumenism altogether. For example: "There is no greater enemy of the Immaculata and her Knighthood than today’s ecumenism, which every Knight must not only fight against, but also neutralize through diametrically opposed action and ultimately destroy." - St. Maximilian Kolbe.

What is the traditional teaching?

God bless.
What would be "true" ecumenism?  Nothing more than reaching out to other religions to bring them to (or back to) the Church.  True ecumenism is evangelization, which is not only not bad, but necessary, the very command of God.

Now I suppose the word could also be used to refer to various religious bodies coming together to accomplish goals they have in common, such as stopping abortion.  This I think can be good, but it should be done with care, and managed at a level higher than the ordinary man, so as to reduce the danger of losing souls to false religions.
Apologists I've read give three main categories of interaction with non-Catholics:

Apologetics: attempting to inspire conversion by defending the Faith and exposing error.

True Ecumenism: attempting to talk about the Faith and X religion to further mutual understanding, in hopes of future apologetics

False Ecumenism: attempting to talk about the Faith and X religion indifferently, or to minimize differences to promote false unity.

1949 instruction of ecumenism:

http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDFECUM.HTM
John salza had a very interesting video speech at the Fatima Last Chance Conference last month in Rome. To paraphrase what he said on video. The definition of the word ecumenism comes from the Greek meaning "that which belongs to the house" or "the Catholic Church" . St. Paul describes the "household of faith" in Galations 6-10. Mr. Salza went on to say that "in every single ecumenical council up to Vatican II ONLY the Catholic Bishops of the world participated in the proceedings in a true showing of Catholic unity with the Pope. At Vatican II in accordance with Metz/Pact 2 Russian orthodox ministers (heretics as Salza called them) were allowed to observe. So I'm thinking if Salza is correct in what he said, before Vatican II ecumenism may have had an entirely different meaning. Has anyone else seen this video. I believe it was from the Thursday line-up and was titled "The Consecration of Russia: 7 popes who failed to consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary" and he co-authored it with Robert Sungenis.