FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Priest wants to abolish Communion and Confirmation classes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://reverendknow-it-all.blogspot.com/...-over.html

Friends,

You may have noticed that recently, at Mass, I asked the young people who attend our religious education program to stand up. Of the 250, give or take, who attend the program, I counted about 50 or 60 at all the Masses.  Our teachers have done wonderful work. They have made great sacrifices for the sake of the religious education of our children. They have not failed. The 50-year-old system that they inherited has failed. We are using a model that was created before cell phones, soccer practice, twitter, facebook and video games. The model we are using is older than the Beatles. It’s as old as I am.

We inherited a system from the good old days of flourishing Catholic schools another failure which was lovingly remembered in the book, “The Last Catholic in America,” a charming reminiscence about Catholicism during the 1950's in which young Eddy Ryan loses his faith.  Religious education was called C.C.D. or the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine.  In this usage it refers to a form of classroom style religious education for children in public schools. It was, at least in my youth, the threadbare cousin of Catholic schools. 

Catholic schools, by and large, have become failures themselves. There are some splendid Catholic schools, but in my experience of 40 years in ministry, increasingly, especially in large urban areas, Catholic schools have become inexpensive private schools for middle class people who have little or no interest in the Catholic faith, maintained at great expense by Catholic parishes. Catholic schools are, for the most part, over.

We may have a few parish schools still plugging along, but are they Catholic? It seems that all we have left to us is the threadbare cousin. All our resources and energies go to maintaining the private school in the building next to the church. While the world is starving for Christ, we are giving them bingo and bratwurst, raffles and dinner dances, all to keep the school going. 
Children and adolescents learn through classrooms and similar types of environments. No serious learning can be made via facebook twitter, sports, or video, not serious academics, anyway.

Reading is key.

Parents and family need to step up if they want their children to keep the Faith beyond puberty. If the Catholic Faith simply becomes go to church on Sunday and a couple of holy days, and not much else, they will most likely stop practicing. Pray as a family, instruct the kids with a good catechism, learn about the treasures of the Faith.

A happy clappy 1970s version of the Faith, where Jesus Christ is my good friend, and all we need to do is be "good people," will not spark interest or true devotion in people of this day and age.
His argument makes some sense, but the "youthchurch" thing just sounds ridiculous.
In my estimation realistically without God intervening in a very miraculous way, it is over.  Finished.  Kaput.  We are on the road to nowhere.

You can do a first class job of teaching your children the faith, but when as adults they face a world stacked against them at every turn, massive debt, competing against dual income families for housing, food, clothes.  Competing against Chinese slaves for wages, mixed marriages and rampant feminsm and materalism then the lapse rate will be too large.

I've seen Trad parents raise a generation of Catholics and the best of that generation of spawn are now running on empty, including myself.  Many of them simply cannot be found at any Trad mass I attend.

We are going the way of the honey bee unless we see some Divine intervention.  The environmental pressures are too great.

Take a wide look at parishes around the world and tell me how many couples there are in their 20s and 30s with growing families.  Some, yes.  A growing number?  I think not.

That is why Fatima is key.  Our Lady will save us.  Only She can do it through Her Son's Divine power..  On our own we are toast.
(06-21-2012, 03:41 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: [ -> ]His argument makes some sense, but the "youthchurch" thing just sounds ridiculous.

They tried it in the late 1960s. Safe to say, it didn't work.
(06-21-2012, 03:42 PM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]In my estimation realistically without God intervening in a very miraculous way, it is over.  Finished.  Kaput.  We are on the road to nowhere.

God is intervening right now in giving us the Faith, the sacraments, and so much more.

(06-21-2012, 03:42 PM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]You can do a first class job of teaching your children the faith, but when as adults they face a world stacked against them at every turn, massive debt, competing against dual income families for housing, food, clothes.  Competing against Chinese slaves for wages, mixed marriages and rampant feminism and materalism then the lapse rate will be too large.

Absolutely. Someone with saintly parents can leave the Church or reject the Faith.
If Judas Iscariot could go bad with the sinless example of Jesus any child  even with saintly parents can go bad , free will is a very strong thing God put into man's hands.
Wait.  Did something happen to the honeybee?  Did I miss something important again?

It seems to me this "letter" (I suspect it's the creation of an internet blog writer, but perhaps I'm wrong) is on target, especially this part:  "How and when will the children receive Communion and Confirmation? They will receive when they are ready.  When are they ready? They are ready when they want the Sacrament. How do we know they want the Sacrament? When they understand it, can tell the pastor what it is and why they want it."
At least someone recognizes there is a PROBLEM with the instruction of the youth in the Church.

As is usual with Conciliarists, their conclusion WHY is wrong.
(06-21-2012, 03:12 PM)CatholicLife Wrote: [ -> ]http://reverendknow-it-all.blogspot.com/...-over.html

Friends,

You may have noticed that recently, at Mass, I asked the young people who attend our religious education program to stand up. Of the 250, give or take, who attend the program, I counted about 50 or 60 at all the Masses.  Our teachers have done wonderful work. They have made great sacrifices for the sake of the religious education of our children. They have not failed. The 50-year-old system that they inherited has failed. We are using a model that was created before cell phones, soccer practice, twitter, facebook and video games. The model we are using is older than the Beatles. It’s as old as I am.

We inherited a system from the good old days of flourishing Catholic schools another failure which was lovingly remembered in the book, “The Last Catholic in America,” a charming reminiscence about Catholicism during the 1950's in which young Eddy Ryan loses his faith.  Religious education was called C.C.D. or the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine.  In this usage it refers to a form of classroom style religious education for children in public schools. It was, at least in my youth, the threadbare cousin of Catholic schools. 

Catholic schools, by and large, have become failures themselves. There are some splendid Catholic schools, but in my experience of 40 years in ministry, increasingly, especially in large urban areas, Catholic schools have become inexpensive private schools for middle class people who have little or no interest in the Catholic faith, maintained at great expense by Catholic parishes. Catholic schools are, for the most part, over.

We may have a few parish schools still plugging along, but are they Catholic? It seems that all we have left to us is the threadbare cousin. All our resources and energies go to maintaining the private school in the building next to the church. While the world is starving for Christ, we are giving them bingo and bratwurst, raffles and dinner dances, all to keep the school going. 

The good father is mistaken, the current system is nothing like the tried and true system of yesterday.  This will be my third year  as a volunteer instructor for the 7th &8 th grade level.  I have had to endure half a class that does not want to be there, has no respect for the faith, and yet expects to pass.  Unfortunately they will pass because no one is held responsible.  If it wasnt for the other half that does care about the faith I would have quit already.  The textbooks they give me are a vatican II nightmare and i learned not to even bother with them.  Why on earth do we have to encourage kids to go to muslims and protestants to talk about their faith.  I tend to rely on teaching straight from the bible, the baltimore catechism, and Q&A from seton books.
Pages: 1 2