FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Torture in the Inquisition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(07-13-2012, 02:14 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2012, 02:08 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]Sure you would.

You'd be in the front row as your best friend, your sister or your cousin would be burned alive for "obstinate heresy."

Spare me the bullshit.

Bullshit?

At least one of my friends--a lapsed Catholic who's now something of an atheist--and I have actually discussed the matter, both of us acknowledging that, in my "ideal" society (ideal used loosely, of course), his fate would be similar to Bardolf's in Henry V.

Yes, bullshit. Or, if you prefer Latin, stercum taurineum.

And I'd bet anything you'd be willing to bet that you wouldn't live up to these pious hypocritical internet standards in real life. Talks about the Inquisition and prosecuting heresy are just hot air, nothing more.
The ink on your return forms isn't even dry, and you're back on the Inquisition, eh?
If heresy were a crime, most people who otherwise would leave the faith would probably just toe the religious party line and pay lipservice to Church teaching. Consequently, I doubt I'd know too many who were publicly and officially non-Catholics. Such persons would not likely be my family and friends, the majority of whom with regard to the former and many of whom with regard to the latter are already Catholic in this state of affairs. Also, if the heresy (and apostasy) laws were only enforced in high-profile cases (as it often was, depending upon what country and century), then I doubt I'd have much to worry about if my best friend weren't Christopher Hitchens.
(07-13-2012, 02:19 AM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: [ -> ]The ink on your return forms isn't even dry, and you're back on the Inquisition, eh?

Abyssus abyssum invocat.
(07-13-2012, 02:20 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]If heresy were a crime, most people who otherwise would leave the faith would probably just toe the religious party line and pay lipservice to Church teaching. Consequently, I doubt I'd know too many who were publicly and officially non-Catholics. Such persons would not likely be my family and friends, the majority of whom with regard to the former and many of whom with regard to the latter are already Catholic in this state of affairs. Also, if the heresy (and apostasy) laws were only enforced in high-profile cases (as it often was, depending upon what country and century), then I doubt I'd have much to worry about if my best friend weren't Christopher Hitchens.

Cop-out.

Nice try, though.
(07-13-2012, 02:17 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]

You'd be in the front row as your best friend, your sister or your cousin would be burned alive for "obstinate heresy."

Spare me the bullshit.

Bullshit?

At least one of my friends--a lapsed Catholic who's now something of an atheist--and I have actually discussed the matter, both of us acknowledging that, in my "ideal" society (ideal used loosely, of course), his fate would be similar to Bardolf's in Henry V.

And I'd bet anything you'd be willing to bet that you wouldn't live up to these pious hypocritical internet standards in real life. Talks about the Inquisition and prosecuting heresy are just hot air, nothing more.

And I bet you're underestimating my lack of empathy for others, as well as my strong commitment to my religious beliefs and vision of the common good.
(07-13-2012, 02:22 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]

Spare me the bullshit.

Bullshit?

And I bet you're underestimating my lack of empathy for others, as well as my strong commitment to my religious beliefs and vision of the common good.

I know perfectly well where you're coming from, Resurrexi, and I don't doubt your sincerity. I've been there before.

It's precisely because of it that I can say that all that talk about heresy is essentially hypocritical bullshit. I know those thought processes inside out. It's just intellectual masturbation and daydreaming, nothing else. You'll eventually recognise it, if not publicly, at least privately.
Why do people that defend the justice done unto the pagan Moloch worshiping demonic cults in the promised land have a problem with the Inquisitions?  ??? Very odd.
(07-13-2012, 02:26 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2012, 02:22 AM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]

Spare me the bullshit.

Bullshit?

I know perfectly well where you're coming from, Resurrexi, and I don't doubt your sincerity. I've been there before.

It's precisely because of it that I can say that all that talk about heresy is essentially hypocritical bullshit. I know those thought processes inside out. It's just intellectual masturbation and daydreaming, nothing else. You'll eventually recognise it, if not publicly, at least privately.

A bit romantic, to be sure, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it mental masturbation.

Liberalism (in its broadest definition) and secularism aren't necessarily bound to last for ever. It's quite possible that there will be, at some point in future history, something of a return to circumstances favorable to a Catholic society. If that day comes, then it will be good to know that use of state authority to impose the true faith isn't out of the question because of some silly nonsense about "human rights."
(07-13-2012, 02:29 AM)TS Aquinas Wrote: [ -> ]Why do people that defend the justice done unto the pagan Moloch worshiping demonic cults in the promised land have a problem with the Inquisitions?  ??? Very odd.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14