FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: SSPX bombshell: Williamson is out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Yeah, I've seen drama for the silliest of things.
(06-26-2012, 09:16 PM)SpiritusSanctus Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-26-2012, 04:27 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-26-2012, 03:54 PM)SpiritusSanctus Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-26-2012, 01:38 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-26-2012, 01:00 PM)SpiritusSanctus Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-26-2012, 12:00 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: [ -> ]Good riddance to that sedevacantist-leaning nut.

Stupidest post ever. Someone apparently thinks they're above a Traditional Catholic Bishop.

I'm pretty sure the hubris is on Bishop Williamson's part, who thinks himself above the Supreme Bishop (not to mention above his duly elected superior).

So following in the footsteps of Archbishop LeFebvre is something to look upon, then?

I wouldn't have done what Archbishop Lefebvre (requiescat in pace) did. I don't think it was the right thing to do, but I can see why he did it. He's sort of a Savonarola figure in that way.

So are you even an SSPXer? Just curious.

No, I've never been a regular attendee of SSPX chapels.
divide and conquer?
It's always darkest before the dawn, as they say.
:)

[Image: despairdemotivator.jpg]
(06-28-2012, 07:21 AM)Blessed Pokemon88 Wrote: [ -> ]:)

[Image: despairdemotivator.jpg]

:LOL:
(06-28-2012, 02:06 AM)Anthem Wrote: [ -> ]It's always darkest before the dawn, as they say.

Unless it is the three days of darkness.

It which case it is always darkest just before you light your 100% Beeswax Candles.
(06-27-2012, 12:48 PM)Graham Wrote: [ -> ]Is Bishop Fellay abusing Canon Law? Cross posted from another forum, written by a priest:

Quote:Canon 1373 (new code):

Can. 1373 A person who publicly incites his or her subjects to hatred or animosity against the Apostolic See or the Ordinary because of some act of ecclesiastical authority or ministry, or who provokes the subjects to disobedience against them, is to be punished by interdict or other just penalties.

Three problems with Bishop Fellay using this canon to impose a punishment against Bishop Williamson:

1. Bishop Williamson does not have subjects. He is not even a pastor in one of the SSPX chapels. No one is subject to his authority; rather, he is subject to Fr. Morgan and Bishop Fellay.
First the relevant Canon in the 1917 code (my quick and rough translation):

Quote:Can 2331
§1 -- He who pertinaciously refuses obedience to the Roman Pontiff or his own Ordinary in prohibitions and legitimate commands is to be punished with an appropriate penalty, not excluding censure [interdict], according to the gravity of the crime.

§2 -- Those conspiring against the Roman Pontiff, his legates or the Ordinary and inciting their subjects to disobedience are to be be punished with coercive penalties, if they be clerics, with the removal from benefices and titles, even deprecation [to the lay state]; if they be religious, expulsion.

Secondly the Latin of the 1983 code makes it clear that the "subjects" are of the Pope or the Ordinary, not of the person committing the alleged crime.

Graham Wrote:2. Bishop Williamson cannot be punished for inciting hatred or animosity against the Ordinary because Bishop Fellay is not his Ordinary.

But Bishop Fellay is his legitimate superior, and the Society statutes indicate that the structure (absent a canonical structure) is to resemble an exempt religious institute. Thus the superiors of the districts would be like Ordinaries, and the Superior General like to a Metropolitan (with Ordinary authority over the whole institute and the district superiors).

So according to the statues of the SSPX, Bishop Fellay can impose this penalty as if he is an Ordinary on members of the SSPX.

Clearly, however, the sense of the law is to punish those who disobey legitimate commands of the superior, or incite rebellion against him.

Quote:The SSPX does have a hierarchy and structure. All institutes do. The FSSP can do the same thing here, were there the need.

To set up a schismatic hierarchy, Bishop Fellay would need to try to impose his authority on those who have not professed their obedience to the SSPX (of which he is the Superior). If he tried to impose "interdict" on the faithful, for instance, he would be overstepping his authority.

owever, the SSPX statues (approved by the Church in 1970) are binding upon the members. Upon their oblatio agree to accept the statutes and follow them. They also agree to follow the structure described above, and bind themselves to the 1917 Code as amended for internal SSPX matters.

Graham Wrote:
Quote:It seems to me that in obedience Bishop Williamson can be asked to absent himself from ordinations, but, as a voting member, cannot be blocked from the Chapter. At least he cannot be blocked using this canon. I would call this an abuse of the law and authority.

If this were an abuse, the only recourse that the Bishop would have is to the General Chapter itself to hear his case. However, barring that decision, the statutes of his institute and the Canon law he agreed to follow permit this action, no matter if Bishop Fellay's reasons are good or bad.

Of course, we must assume (in charity and justice) that the superior here (Bishop Fellay) is justified.

I imagine that others who have so publicly spoken out against Bishop Fellay (were they eligible for the Chapter, which those who have been the most violent and disrespectful in their attacks are not) would also be removed.

If one speaks out against authority, they authority can legitimately punish if the law allows, and one must accept that punishment.
(06-28-2012, 02:23 PM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]Unless it is the three days of darkness.
It which case it is always darkest just before you light your 100% Beeswax Candles.
Only if you've got 100% beeswax matches with which to light them. :)
(06-29-2012, 02:18 AM)charlesh Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-28-2012, 02:23 PM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]Unless it is the three days of darkness.
Only if you've got 100% beeswax matches with which to light them. :)

And if they have been blessed by a traditional priest.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11