FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Vatican: Fr. Pavone never suspended...so what is the bishop's reaction?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbenc...suspended/

Vatican: “Father Pavone is not now nor has ever been suspended”

That’s the statement being put out by Priests for Life:

We are happy to announce that the Vatican has upheld Father Frank Pavone’s appeal and has declared that Father Pavone is not now nor has ever been suspended. Father Pavone remains a priest in good standing all over the world.

We were confident all along that a just decision would be made by the Vatican’s Congregation for the Clergy. While we fully agree that Bishop Zurek has rightful authority over the priests of his diocese, we also see the urgent need for Father Pavone to be allowed to conduct his priestly ministry outside the diocese of Amarillo for the good of the pro-life movement.

However, last week, Bishop Zurek had this to say:

In its decree of May 18, 2012, the Congregation for the Clergy has sustained Father Frank A. Pavone’s appeal of his suspension from ministry outside the Diocese of Amarillo and his appointment from me on October 4, 2011 as Chaplain of the Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ in Channing, Texas. Father Pavone is to continue his ministry as chaplain until further notice. As a gesture of good will, I will grant permission to him in individual cases, based upon their merits, to participate in pro-life events with the provision that he and I must be in agreement beforehand as to his role and function.

All other matters are outside the purview of this statement.

Amarillo, Texas, June 20, 2012

+Most Rev. Patrick J. Zurek, STL, DD
Bishop of Amarillo
Fr. Pavone had better be working on getting incardinated in another diocese with a friendlier bishop.  Because if he's not, the wheels are spinning on how to bring him down behind the scenes.
History repeats, and, Fr. Gruner leaps to mind.

tim
(06-27-2012, 01:16 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]History repeats, and, Fr. Gruner leaps to mind.

tim

With Father Gruner it's the Fatima issue, of course. With Father Pavone, it's the pro-life issue.

Years ago, when then Archbishop Edward Egan took over the Archdiocese of NY, one of the first things he did was issue an edict saying that all priests incardinated in the Archdiocese return no ifs, ands or buts. Father Pavone at that time was incardinated in NY, and this was Egan's way of throwing a monkey wrench into Pavone's pro-life efforts. I suspect the same reasons are behind the attempt to put Pavone in a place where he'll fall into desuetude.
One would have to be stupid not to see the relationship between calling him back and his pro-life activities. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

tim
Win battle, lose war.  We've all seen this movie before.  The Bishop can issue one edict after another, and Fr. Has to win every appeal.  Eventually, he'll lose.  Priests are indentured and, contrary to the clever slight of language in the article implying the contrary, Fr. Pavone does not have "worldwide" faculties as a priest. 
Incardinate with the FSSP.  Bishops can't block it.  And if he tries, the Vatican will overrule it in 6 months.  FSSP could use the publicity.
Brilliant James. I've seen Fr. Pavone say Mass on EWTN, his Latin is pretty good, of course James he's an Italian. None of that 'merican mangling the Latin. tehehehe

tim
I never heard whether Father Pavone was interested in the Latin Mass.
EWTN's NO Mass is latinized as much as the Bishops allow. I'm commenting on that. He is fluent with parts that are not the ordinary which are allowed to pray in Latin. This tells me he actually knows Latin. He could be old enough to have been a seminarian for the original Mass of Paul VI in 1964, which was in Latin.

tim
Pages: 1 2