FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Father Fox on the SSPX crisis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Father Fox is the parish priest at the Church of the Transfiguration in Toronto. Here, after holy mass on the Feast of St. John the Baptist, he comes out against a practical agreement with neo-modernist Rome. I can also confirm that this evening he was called away from the parish, and will be spending the next three weeks in the SSPX district headquarters in St-Cesaire, Quebec.

Well, perhaps I'm prejudiced, because this priest is an Aussie, but I have to say that this conference is the best presentation on the situation that anybody has yet produced. Why? Because he sticks with facts and principles, he recognises his own fallibility, and he does not attack persons.

A true son of the Archbishop, without any doubt. A manly man, and a humble man, yet an honest, dignified, and respectful man. He tells his audience he has studied the life and character of the Archbishop, and he evidently has. More, he has reproduced it in himself. A greater tribute could not be given, than to imitate another in this way. Of course, in this he does what every son or daughter of every religious institute seeks to do, which is to imitate Our Lord Jesus Christ in the particular manifestation of His character that the founder or foundress presents.

Is he preaching rebellion? No. Is he casting aspersions on others' character? No. Is he questioning the motives of his superiors? No. Is he calling for a split? No. Is he complacent about the dissension in the Fraternity? No, he detests it, as the work of the devil. This is a man for whom the word "sin" has real meaning, a detestable thing, a thing to be avoided at all costs, even when angry - and he is angry. What an example!

Contrast this spirit, this holy and humble and honest spirit, with that displayed by the promoters of dissension around the place.

Can a deal happen against this kind of opposition? No, it's infallible, irresistable. If anybody were to dare to discipline such a man for such words, they would merely martyr him in the eyes of all, and sanctify his stance.
Can someone tell me why people think being granted a personal prelature by the Pope means SSPX priests will be bossed around by a NeoCatholic hierarchy?  Did these priests when seminarians skip classes that dealt with structures within the Church? 
Sorry, I listened carefully, I thought, to the whole conference.  I didn't hear him mention anything about being bossed about by the Modernist hierarchy.  I think his concerns are more fundamental than that.  He's a Catholic who knows his faith.
(06-28-2012, 07:26 AM)John Lane Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, I listened carefully, I thought, to the whole conference.  I didn't hear him mention anything about being bossed about by the Modernist hierarchy.  I think his concerns are more fundamental than that.  He's a Catholic who knows his faith.

Then maybe you should listen to 6:45-7:03 where he gets to the essence of the question.

Where does the fear come of being subject to Neo-Modernists if granted a personal prelature? 
(06-28-2012, 07:21 AM)PeterII Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone tell me why people think being granted a personal prelature by the Pope means SSPX priests will be bossed around by a NeoCatholic hierarchy?  Did these priests when seminarians skip classes that dealt with structures within the Church? 

It's called "fox guarding the hen house".
(06-28-2012, 07:51 AM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-28-2012, 07:21 AM)PeterII Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone tell me why people think being granted a personal prelature by the Pope means SSPX priests will be bossed around by a NeoCatholic hierarchy?  Did these priests when seminarians skip classes that dealt with structures within the Church? 

It's called "fox guarding the hen house".

The Pope's jurisdiction is not something evil.  If he grants ordinary jurisdiction to the SSPX, who can then run their own affairs, what is the problem here?
Subscribing
Big bad SSPX: The New Mass is a danger to the Faith, we cannot in conscience advocate going to the New Mass.

Local bishop: What! This is the ordinary form of the Roman-rite, it has been sanctioned by the Church how can you say otherwise? You want to work within my diocese? I have to contact higher channels. How can I allow you to promote such thinking even if you have been granted a personal prelature?

I think one is a bit naive to think that the local hierarchy who let us be frank are modernists will allow an organization which for 40 years has represented everything opposed to Modernism to co-exist with them, again, even if the SSPX under a proposed personal prelature will be under the Pope. In my opinion, it is the SSPX that will be liable to compromise and not the other way around. I don't necessarily believe that the SSPX can really act like a leaven within the official structure. Yes, I could be wrong but I have serious doubts.

Because a Pope that believes that Vatican II was essentially a wonderful thing even if there were bumps along the way in implementation would not regularize a group of Catholics whose sole goal regarding the Church in our day is overturning and being in perpetual rebellion against Vatican II and the stated idealized reform of the reform promoted by this same  Pope.  He would have to be one of these things:  A liar who says Vatican II is wonderful and secretly hates it.  A madman who loves to work at crosspurposes deliberately or third, someone who believes they need to nuetralize the SSPX and tradition in order to recreate the Church according to his vision "brick by brick." 

And remember: Pope Benedict is the Pope of Christian Unity.

(disclaimer: Christian Unity bears no resemblance to Catholic Unity particularly in areas concerning the depost of faith.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5