FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: how Catholic is the novel Brideshead Revisited?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i would like to know how Trad Catholic is the novel Brideshead Revisited. Thank you!  :)
It's very Catholic, a Catholic classic IMHO.

C.
It was a good thing that Waugh exposed the ridiculous custom of keeping Sacred Monkeys at the Vatican.
Great reading. Highly recommended.
(07-13-2012, 07:54 AM)vinceteipsum Wrote: [ -> ]It was a good thing that Waugh exposed the ridiculous custom of keeping Sacred Monkeys at the Vatican.

Rex Mottram was a glorious chump to have believed that...
I also recommend A Bitter Trial, which is a posthumous collection of letters Waugh wrote about the liturgical changes after 1954, including replies from the Archbishop of Westminster, with whom he was acquainted. It's a fast read but moving.

I especially liked reading about how he got to attend a private TLM the day he died.
(07-13-2012, 11:16 AM)Richard C Wrote: [ -> ]I also recommend A Bitter Trial, which is a posthumous collection of letters Waugh wrote about the liturgical changes after 1954, including replies from the Archbishop of Westminster, with whom he was acquainted. It's a fast read but moving.

I especially liked reading about how he got to attend a private TLM the day he died.

Yeah that is a beautiful, but very sad read.  Very quick and every trad should look at it.
:w2go: :w2go:
(07-13-2012, 05:58 AM)Filipino Catholic Wrote: [ -> ]i would like to know how Trad Catholic is the novel Brideshead Revisited. Thank you!  :)

Some say the relationship between Charles and Sebastien was a homosexual one, but there's nothing explicit in the novel so you can draw your own conclusions.
In both of the movies of the book,  Sebastien is portrayed as rather effeminate.
(07-13-2012, 03:28 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2012, 05:58 AM)Filipino Catholic Wrote: [ -> ]i would like to know how Trad Catholic is the novel Brideshead Revisited. Thank you!  :)

Some say the relationship between Charles and Sebastien was a homosexual one, but there's nothing explicit in the novel so you can draw your own conclusions.
In both of the movies of the book,  Sebastien is portrayed as rather effeminate.

The book showed much sin (although not explicit), and some people would be put off by that.  But its background and overall message (especially in the final chapters) was very Catholic and beautiful.
Pages: 1 2