FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Haaalp meh!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I'm in line waiting for confession at an NO church and they are having adoration. One guy is reciting prayers, which isn't the issue...however, he is singing THE LORD IS THE BREAD OF LIFE or whatever it's called and other songs I've never heard. He is definitely tone deaf and the few that chose to sing lack passion. Also, it is to my understanding that when gospel is announced to be read we are to make the sign of the cross (head, lips and chest), yet no one did this. 

Er, and I wanted to cringe at the sight of this one gentleman holding a bible in his right hand, dropped to his knees before the butcher block altar and held his hands out all orans position for a good 10min.
Why do these things bother you? They're having adoration. They might not be able to sing, fold their hands properly, etc., It might not be adoration as you think suitable but what does our Lord -- who alone can read the hearts of men -- think? That's what's important.
The y just recited the luminous mysteries and prayed the Glory Be... at times and at other times prayed the Fatima prayer, but never once back to back.

And you are right, it shouldn't bother me but it does...especially when someone is shouting the rosary in my ear, using the wrong words, as I'm trying to pray as well.
Ideally adoration would be a time of silent prayer.  Benediction is one thing, but not everyone wants to join in these novel types of "praise and worship" when they go to spend time with Him.
(07-19-2012, 10:21 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: [ -> ]I'm in line waiting for confession at an NO church and they are having adoration. One guy is reciting prayers, which isn't the issue...however, he is singing THE LORD IS THE BREAD OF LIFE or whatever it's called and other songs I've never heard. He is definitely tone deaf and the few that chose to sing lack passion. Also, it is to my understanding that when gospel is announced to be read we are to make the sign of the cross (head, lips and chest), yet no one did this. 

Er, and I wanted to cringe at the sight of this one gentleman holding a bible in his right hand, dropped to his knees before the butcher block altar and held his hands out all orans position for a good 10min.

Sounds like Charismatic types. I hear you though, prayers at Adoration are to be quiet for the sake of others and the exposed presence of the Eucharistic Lord.

The slogan for Adoration ought to read, Psalms 45:11 "Be still and see that I am God"
Also, I just detest outward signs of *faith*, which is why it drives me bonkers seeing people doing crazy gestures and falling all over.
I think adoration should silent too. To be honest I probably would not have stayed because I can't concentrate or adore when there's that much noise but, really, there are better things to get mad about. Remember the apostles got mad when all the babies were clamoring and climbing on Jesus' lap and Jesus said "let them come." Just think of these worshipers as excited children lol
Whenever I was exposed to such displays of bad taste in the NO church, I always considered that remaining was a penitential act. In fact,  if you have to sit through a folk mass with incompetents who can't play their instruments, I think you should get a plenary indulgence - you've suffered enough.  Puke

Reminds me of Father Wathen,  from his book: Who Shall Ascend?:......................

No doubt you are one of those who will respond:  "But I never did anything like that.  When I went to Mass, I simply sat there, sometimes in a fury that I was obligated to suffer through their nauseous "ceremonies," their vapid sermons, the loud guitar 'Gospel' music, and people dressed as you might see them at the shopping malls and ball games and back-yard picnics, performing their various tasks, their 'ministries.' I participated not at all.  I hated every minute of it.  I went only because the priests told me to, and I thought I had to do it, though it did not seem right that I should have to.  Where else was I going to go?  What else was I going to do?" 

And we answer:  And yet you are claiming complete innocence of all wrong-doing?  You say you hated the New Mass, that you went only under constraint.  Your own words condemn you.  You are indicating that you knew that the New Mass was not the True Mass.  More to the point:  Did you imagine that those who were doing their busy little tasks at the Masses you were attending were doing something wrong?  If they were doing something wrong, how could they have been offering a worthy Sacrifice, a Sacrifice which rendered acceptable worship to God?  Did you imagine that because you were there out of obedience that there was some virtue in that, as if doing something wrong out of obedience makes the wrongdoing right?
(07-20-2012, 05:50 AM)Stubborn Wrote: [ -> ]And we answer:  And yet you are claiming complete innocence of all wrong-doing?  You say you hated the New Mass, that you went only under constraint.  Your own words condemn you.  You are indicating that you knew that the New Mass was not the True Mass.  More to the point:  Did you imagine that those who were doing their busy little tasks at the Masses you were attending were doing something wrong?  If they were doing something wrong, how could they have been offering a worthy Sacrifice, a Sacrifice which rendered acceptable worship to God?  Did you imagine that because you were there out of obedience that there was some virtue in that, as if doing something wrong out of obedience makes the wrongdoing right?

That is false.

Just because others are straying that does not mean it is because the mass is not the mass.

Keep in mind how Our Lord spoke in the temple. He condemned the acts of the Pharisees and  Sadducees who were worldly and hypocrites. He condemned their superficial observances. Yet, that does not mean that the Temple, the sacrifices, and the Law were wrong.

Jesus still referred to the Temple as the house of His Father. Jesus generally followed all the points of the Law except when they were fulfilled or to make a point about the purpose of the law. The High Priest could still prophesize.

Because others are sentimental or otherwise misguided when they should not be, that does not mean the Church is a lie.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6