FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: New Archbishop of San Francisco
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Pope has transferred Bishop Salvatore Cordileone 56 to be the new Archbishop of San Francisco. Archbishop Cordileone is considered a friend of the Latin Mass, he ordained an FSSP priest at a church in Oakland a couple years ago and was known regularly to say traditional vespers with the priests in the San Diego diocese. He will now be in control of St. Patrick's Seminary in the S.F. Archdiocese which trains priests for many West Coast dioceses. Cordileone has been outspoken against "gay" marriage, he better get ready for persecution.
Wonderful news! I have attended a pontfical mass celebrated by His Excellency alongside ICKSP priests in the nearby diocese of Oakland. Maybe my Archdiocese can finally have the prescence of FSSP or ICK priests.
This is an email I wrote on this subject this morning:
Quote:Dear friends in Christ,

This morning, I awoke to the news that Benedict XVI had appointed Salvatore Cordileone (formerly of Oakland, CA) to head the Archdiocese of San Francisco. Two years ago, I would have embraced such news with exceeding joy: Mons. Cordileone is one of the vibrant, young conservatives in the current ecclesiastical millieu. Politically, he is conservative, and has earned a strong reputation against the Leftist and Homosexual movements in California, and the U.S. as a whole. Doctrinally, he is not far flung like a Rembert Weakland, Roger Mahoney, or Remi de Roo. Finally, on liturgical matters, an issue very dear to many a trad and a conservative, he appears to be the embodiment of who the New Liturgical Movement (http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org), and other Reform of the Reformers, would want as a bishop: he has celebrated Solemn Pontifical Masses several times (I attended one in 2009), he sticks to the books, etc.

Many will be pleased, or overjoyed with this appointment. It may cause the dismissal of notorious dissidents and homosexuals, several reforms and disbandments of power cliques and good, old boys clubs with an outsider at the helm, and the establishment of a Latin Mass Parish staffed by the FSSP or Institute of Christ the King.

As (traditional) Roman Catholics, we know that there is much more to the crisis in Holy Mother Church, and that adherence to post-Vatican II "orthodoxy," and occasional celebration, or even promotion, of the traditional rites are not enough. In many ways, this appointment poses more difficulties than the Müller appointment or the worst of Paul VI's and John Paul II's appointment. Serious Catholics will have to examine the following issues in depth:

1. The status of the Novus Ordo Missae. Is it okay as said on the books, or is it intrinsically problematic, dubious, or even heterodox? As Archbishop Lefebvre said, "The Novus Ordo Missae, even when said with piety and respect for the liturgical rules, is impregnated with the spirit of Protestantism...it bears within it a poison harmful to the Faith."

2. Disciplines following the Council (communion in the hand, extraordinary ministers of communion, versus populum table-altars, the sad state of annulments).

3. The inversion of the ends of marriage.

4. A redefinition of the Church, heretics and schismatics being able to receive Holy Communion prior to any abjuration of errors, etc.

Good Catholics cannot sweep all of this, and much more, under the rug, nor can they dismiss this, just because of a good appointment with liturgical niceties. They will have to decide on whether or not the entirety of the Novus Ordo Revolution (Religious Liberty, ecumenism, collegiality, new rites, new disciplines) are good and Catholic, or not. Some may dismiss them as non-infallible or pastoral, whilst others may jump mental loops to "reconcile" them with Catholic orthodoxy, but the question still stands. As Pope Leo XIII said, "The practice of the Church has always been the same, as is shown by the unanimous teaching of the Fathers, who were wont to hold as outside Catholic communion, and alien to the Church, whoever would recede in the least degree from any point of doctrine proposed by her authoritative magisterium" (Pope Leo XIII, Satis Cognitum, no. 9, June 29, 1896).

On a personal note, many of my Catholic friends and family will not be able to understand how I cannot support the Archdiocese, even with such a conservative or even "traditionalist" bishop. The pressure will certainly be on, but we must all remember to hold fast to the one, true Roman Catholic Faith, whole and inviolate.

In Christo et Maria,

C.P.
All things considered it is the best possible news.  You cannot go from zero to sixty in 2 seconds.  There is an incredible amount of work to be done in restoring Catholicism in Sin Francisco.

He will need our prayers.
It's like being gven the Archdiocese of Sodom and Gommorah. The Archbishop needs prayers and two divisions of marines.

tim
Speaking of San Francisco I will be in the city sometime in September and wondered if anyone knows where I can get to a decent Mass? Are there any Tradional Latin Masses or Divine Liturgies that I can get to if I'm staying near the financial district. I will have to take public transporation as I'm not renting a car. I don't do city driving.
(07-27-2012, 03:09 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]It's like being gven the Archdiocese of Sodom and Gommorah. The Archbishop needs prayers and two divisions of marines.

tim

Yeah. You've gotta be hardcore to endure that.

But if I had the choice of being either Archbishop of San Francisco or of a super-trad-friendly place like Lincoln, Nebraska..... I'd pick San Francisco. I must be a masochist.
I think I saw and heard Bishop Cordileone at a pro-life event in San Diego, and heard of him celebrating Mass at St. Anne Church (FSSP).  He made a good impression among some traditionalists.

I don't go to Novus Ordo Masses.  When I saw him (not at St. Anne's) a Novus Ordo Mass was said afterwards (I don't know if it was by him), and I did not go.  I would not go to his Novus Ordo masses in San Francisco.

Of course he is better than many alternatives.  But I'm afraid that slightly better appointments are not good enough and will provide a distraction from appointments that are terrible - such as that of Bishop Muller as the head of the CDF.
Crusader, you accidentally a "2".
(07-27-2012, 03:59 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]Crusader, you accidentally a "2".

Thanks. Fixed.
Pages: 1 2 3