FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Alfred Hitchcock
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alfred Hitchcock used his Catholicism they say in most of his films, does anybody have any opinions about this aspect of his films and would they recommend any of his films?
I, Confess has Catholic themes for sure.
The Horseplayer from his TV series.
When he died Alfred Hitchcock was described as a practicing Catholic. While his films weren't religous per se, they do appeal to a particular audience. If you like that style watch them. If you don't, then don't 
(08-03-2012, 09:22 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a book that might interest you:  Afterimage: The Indelible Catholic Imagination of Six American Flim Makers

I've read this book and can heartily recommend; the essay on John Ford is illuminating. On the topic of Hitchcock studies, I strongly recommend the work by Chabrol and Rohmer (the only practicing Catholic among the New Wave directors) entitled The First Forty-Films which highlights specific Catholic themes present in his works.
One of my favourite films of all time is 'Rear Window'.  I think it portrays evil properly, unlike so many films that seem to apologize for it (like the Godfather films).  This is where I see Hitchcock's Catholicism.