FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pants and the Christian dress code
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Trying to start a pants debate?  I wonder what will happen this time.  Unsure
Not far.  We're missing the person who would make it go.
In my time here, I've seen a few people who would enthusiastically champion the pro-pants side.  They are all gone now.  I can't say I miss it.  The discussions tended to become unpleasant.
I've seen the Islamic girls/women (but not just them) come to a happy medium: a tunic over pants. Of course, this has been done before by other women, like the Indians and some Asians. Seems like a nice "compromise" is to say, you can have pants, but just make sure you cover up the middle area. I think one of the problems with the trad debate is that we are closed minded. The only fashion options ever mentioned are Western. So if we talk about pants, they're Western blue jeans or similar. If we talk about dresses or skirts, they're Western types. There are a lot of great fashion options out there for women which would also allow them to be creative, and no stuck to just one fashion style. I think women have more lee-way with this too. Most Western men can't pull of in the workplace some of the more modest men's options--just straight English collared shirt with the standard English suit for nicer occasions. I say take advantage of it, women, if you are bored with the options in the stores. Mix and match.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBwWPTHQYGOyadFwezDXC...bICC_jO7XJ]

[Image: wB9031-tunics.jpg]

[Image: NOV04.jpg]

[Image: Indian-Muslim_Bridal-Engagement-11.jpg]

[Image: TFL102.jpg]
(08-04-2012, 03:51 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]In my time here, I've seen a few people who would enthusiastically champion the pro-pants side.  They are all gone now.  I can't say I miss it.  The discussions tended to become unpleasant.

Takes two to make a pants debate become unpleasant...
(08-04-2012, 05:13 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-04-2012, 03:51 PM)JayneK Wrote: [ -> ]In my time here, I've seen a few people who would enthusiastically champion the pro-pants side.  They are all gone now.  I can't say I miss it.  The discussions tended to become unpleasant.

Takes two to make a pants debate become unpleasant...

One person can manage a great deal on his own.
Is it just me or is modern Middle Eastern fashion just awful?
Granted, I like dresses and skirts on women. However, I am fine with pants on women if they are designed for women and not some hip hugging version of men's jeans. Some of the old pics of 1940's women in pants (skipping over K. Hepburn) were feminine and attractive. They didn't need to wear really tight denim or unisex t-shirts.
(08-04-2012, 05:47 PM)Walty Wrote: [ -> ]Is it just me or is modern Middle Eastern fashion just awful?

I can't say I like all of it, but I do like some of their contemporary fashions. I guess it is a taste thing.
Pages: 1 2 3