FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Does the Vatican Still Condemn Books?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Someone at church today mentioned lending a book that had been condemned by the Vatican to one of our priests. I can't remember the title, and I'd never heard of it, anyway, so it could have been published a hundred years ago, for all I know. I do remember that it was about theology, and that the priest had supposedly said that he couldn't find anything so very wrong with it...  ??? This got me thinking: does the Vatican actually still condemn books anymore, or is this just a thing of the past? And if they do, do they really come out strong against them, or do they just suggest that they might be harmful, or something like that?
The Index librorum prohibitorum et expurgatorum, since 1966, isn't being renovated.

But, groups like Opus Dei still have something similar.
I have heard of books having their imprimatur removed.
No, books are no longer condemned by the Vatican.  Kind of makes sense, considering heresy isn't really either.  So there you go.
The Vatican prohibited the books containing the private revelations of Gabriele Bitterlich, foundress of the Opus Angelorum.
The use and dissemination of books or other writings containing the aforementioned theories, either inside or outside the Association, is forbidden.
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congre...um_en.html
(08-12-2012, 11:13 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]No, books are no longer condemned by the Vatican.  Kind of makes sense, considering heresy isn't really either.  So there you go.

Yes, there you go. It is very telling: what doesn't condemn error doesn't love truth.
(08-12-2012, 11:13 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]No, books are no longer condemned by the Vatican. 

This does make sense to me. We no longer live in a Catholic world. The list of censored books would be way too long nowadays for it to be still useful.
(08-13-2012, 03:59 AM)ecclesiastes Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-12-2012, 11:13 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]No, books are no longer condemned by the Vatican. 

This does make sense to me. We no longer live in a Catholic world. The list of censored books would be way too long nowadays for it to be still useful.

So, stop enforcing the rules since no one listens to them?
They do "notifications" on certain prominent books put forth as Catholic which go against the faith.  For example, here is a recent one:

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/06/cdf-notif...m-of-nuns/
Pages: 1 2 3 4