FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Matrimony ritual
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the Netherlands the EF of the Mass is coming up only recently, so we are learning.
Last week I had a discussion with one of the priests who also celebrates the EF, about the ritual for the Sacrament of Matrimony.

1) Which ritual should we use, the 1962 edition, or the revised edition of 1964, where esp. this Sacrament was adapted? I see in the English language on the internet both...
2) I see some traditionalist priests in France do the Sacramental rite where the OF puts it, that means: matrimony after a homily after the Gospel. Me and the other priest don't understand. Why would someone do so, it should be before Mass, or?

Since I think that members here will be married with the Tridentine ritual, or priests who are celebrating this sacrament more than once, I sincerely hope you can give me help with the proper answers. Thanks in advance!
(08-13-2012, 02:43 PM)kingofspades Wrote: [ -> ]In the Netherlands the EF of the Mass is coming up only recently, so we are learning.
Last week I had a discussion with one of the priests who also celebrates the EF, about the ritual for the Sacrament of Matrimony.

1) Which ritual should we use, the 1962 edition, or the revised edition of 1964, where esp. this Sacrament was adapted? I see in the English language on the internet both...
2) I see some traditionalist priests in France do the Sacramental rite where the OF puts it, that means: matrimony after a homily after the Gospel. Me and the other priest don't understand. Why would someone do so, it should be before Mass, or?

Since I think that members here will be married with the Tridentine ritual, or priests who are celebrating this sacrament more than once, I sincerely hope you can give me help with the proper answers. Thanks in advance!

I have served the Traditional Nuptial Mass.  You should use 1962, per the law.  Technically it's either 1962 or NO, nothing else is allowed.  However it's probably okay to do things that were allowed in 1962 such as a limited use of the vernacular (not for the Mass, for for the Matrimony part).

The nuptials are before the Mass.  The Mass then is the Nuptial Mass (if allowed) and has a special blessing.
You should use the 1962. The 1964, among other things, is when the allowance for putting the Rite of Matrimony itself between the Mass of the Catechumens and the Mass of the Faithful began. It was permitted under Pius XII (I think) to conduct all of the Rite of Matrimony in English except for the priest's acceptance and proclaimation of the conferral of the Sacrament: "Ego conjugo vos in matrimonium, in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spritus Sancti. Amen."
(08-13-2012, 04:45 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I have served the Traditional Nuptial Mass.  You should use 1962, per the law.  Technically it's either 1962 or NO, nothing else is allowed.  However it's probably okay to do things that were allowed in 1962 such as a limited use of the vernacular (not for the Mass, for for the Matrimony part).

The nuptials are before the Mass.  The Mass then is the Nuptial Mass (if allowed) and has a special blessing.

We were given the option for the 1964 but declined (diocesan TLM) and used the 1962. Just out of curiosity, why/where isn't it allowed?
1962 no later!!!
(08-13-2012, 07:10 PM)kayla_veronica Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2012, 04:45 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: [ -> ]I have served the Traditional Nuptial Mass.  You should use 1962, per the law.  Technically it's either 1962 or NO, nothing else is allowed.  However it's probably okay to do things that were allowed in 1962 such as a limited use of the vernacular (not for the Mass, for for the Matrimony part).

We were given the option for the 1964 but declined (diocesan TLM) and used the 1962. Just out of curiosity, why/where isn't it allowed?

Well I'm not a lawyer, but I said that because my understanding is that the law of the Church only allows the NO wedding mass/ritual in the Latin Church ... except that SP allowed 1962. Intermediate forms and forms earlier than 1962 are not mentioned anywhere that I know of.
The replies so far are according to what I already was thinking.

- Ritus Celebrandi Matrimonii before the Missa pro sponso et sponsa, eventually in the vernacular (the Rite was in my diocese already an option in 1926! Officially approved...)
- Benedicio Nuptiarum after the Pater Noster. In Latin of course.

The judicial vicar of our diocese is a promotor of the MP SP and associated with the FSSP, wrote me about this, that for the EF I should follow an approved Roman Ritual, and for the translation in the vernacular of the consensus an officially approved text, according to CIC 1119, ed. 1983. Ad validitatem is however not the ritual the most important thing, but the consensus and the other canonical rules to follow. Of course. Still remaining: which ritual?

My personal view is: 1962. Summorum Pontificum is unclear about the edition for the ritual for Matrimony, but only speaking about 'the old rituals' while for the Missal and the Breviary 1962 is mentioned explicitly. But in Universae Ecclesiae, the Nuptial ritual is not mentioned but still the Rituale Romanum 1962. It is not too clear...