FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: For all the NOers here: Jesus in on the floor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(08-18-2012, 06:49 AM)lumine Wrote: [ -> ]Just adding my own experience,,,I have never seen particles like the ones in the video.  Aren't the hosts made to not break up like that?  Remember, just my own experience....
We have many uncconsecrated hosts at my home[for visiting priests] and they all drop particles and crumbs.
They all do.
(08-18-2012, 04:06 AM)TS Aquinas Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2012, 03:57 AM)HuskerTom Wrote: [ -> ]Great video and eye opener.  This should be required viewing for all Catholics, especially priests.  One question, though - what did they do in the early Church when CITH was allowed to prevent this from happening?

early Church protocol for CITH: Left hand under right in the form of a cross > priest put Host on the right hand > you bring your right hand up towards your mouth while your upper body bent and dare not use your fingers > receive the Host from palm and make sure right hand has no leftover particles.

Right hand because Christ sits at the right hand of the Father.

Form of a cross to signify the sacrificial nature of Mass and that moment of Communion.

Bend to receive in reverence.

Do not use fingers for utmost safety and care of particles that may fall.

Recently scholarship I've read about on the Internet suggests that even in the ancient Church, CITH was an expedient during persecution and not the norm. I wish I could cite something here, but it's out there.
Brought tears to my eyes...
Saturday 5/26/12 Notre Dame Paris 5000 communicants. Sunday 5/27/12 10000 communicants. Monday Notre Dame Chartres 5/28/12 8000 communicants.  3 Solemn High Masses 72 miles apart. Not a single EME. Priests still distributing communion after each Mass had already been completed. No dropped hosts. All COTT while kneeling. That's the most beautiful thing this side of heaven.
(08-18-2012, 11:35 AM)Richard C Wrote: [ -> ]Recently scholarship I've read about on the Internet suggests that even in the ancient Church, CITH was an expedient during persecution and not the norm. I wish I could cite something here, but it's out there.

St. Basil's 93rd letter perhaps?
I strongly feel that reception of Communion in the hand should be abolished, for reasons including that it does lead to fragments of the Host being left on the ground. I myself once found a relatively large, 1 by .5 centimeter Host fragment that had been dropped on the ground before the sanctuary. In this case, Christ's Body was indeed dropped on the ground and left there, something that could have been avoided with Communion only on the tongue. (This isn't to say that Communion in the hand is an incentive to impiety.)

At the same time, though, I don't think it's theologically accurate to say that flakes that break off from a Host--flakes indistinguishable from dust--are the Body of Christ. Once the Host loses the appearance of bread, Christ is no longer substantially present there. We should still exercise the greatest caution in dealing even with the smaller particles (caution exemplified by the priest's clamping together his "canonical digits"), though, out of reverence for the sacrament in general and because larger crumbs that do maintain the accidents of bread are also possible.
For CITH, Altar servers can hold a paten underneath each communicant's hands.  This is how I have seen it done.
(08-18-2012, 01:42 PM)lumine Wrote: [ -> ]For CITH, Altar servers can hold a paten underneath each communicant's hands.  This is how I have seen it done.

The paten is optional and isn't incredibly practical since, by the time the communicant is transferring the Host to his mouth, he's walked several feet away from where he was given the Host.
The paten under the hands would only be handy if the host fell while he is taking it.  It would do nothing for the particles left over.  It is not just what people say that shows their faith, it can also be garnered by what they do(understanding that many/most people out there now do not know the right thing to do because of poor catechesis, neverminding where they go to Church).  Lord have mercy on those that say that the NO is a true Mass and still do not treat the host in a respectful manner.  You are judged by what you know or should know.

Joe
(08-18-2012, 01:42 PM)lumine Wrote: [ -> ]For CITH, Altar servers can hold a paten underneath each communicant's hands.  This is how I have seen it done.
The point is, particles of God still get on the hands of communicant and a paten will do nothing about this.
Then the communicant wipes his hands on his pants and Christ is desecrated.

Just abolish CITH.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13