FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: For all the NOers here: Jesus in on the floor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
What's the percentage of Catholics who believe in the Real Presence? 20%? I'm going to go out on a limb and blame that pathetic number directly on how Holy Communion is treated in the NO, either thru abuses or the inherent de-emphases on the sacrificial aspect.

(08-19-2012, 06:35 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2012, 05:18 PM)lumine Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not here to change anyone's mind...

Then you must not be very convicted in your practices.  I'd like to change your mind.  You should begin recieving Our Lord on the tongue, out of reverence and out of caution.

We aren't here to change each other's minds.  That would be mean.  We're here to just... well, not that you mention it...  I'm not quite sure.
(08-19-2012, 09:10 PM)fatiam13 Wrote: [ -> ]Junior Councilor

Funny you should ask, I was planning on visiting this weekend. When we were on the Chartres Pilgrimage this spring we met a couple from Michigan who spoke highly of the priest there. I can't remember his name but he's was supposed to be attending the Roman Forum at Lake Garda this past July. After hearing of the school I decided to check it out online. It's intrigued me and I have a grandson who'll be entering the first grade tomorrow. I guess I fantasize about saving up the money and sending him to school there.

The reason I ask, is because I worked there as a teacher for two years, and lived in the vicinity for another.  Fr. McMahon, the headmaster, is indeed an incredible priest-- not always the easiest to live with, but in my humble opinion, a very holy and wonderful priest.  The other two priests there, Fr. McBride and Fr. Dailey, although young, are also quite good.

Think seriously about sending your grandson there, if you can.  It's a great place.  The money is not really the main issue.  Don't get me wrong, it's a huge issue, but at the same time, Father is very willing to work with you in order to help  your kid get a really Catholic education.  You have the advantage, as I understand it, of living not that far away.  If you could come up some time and do some kind of volunteer work for the school-- Father absolutely loves that sort of thing.  Small but steady contributions also have an effect.  I would definitely say sending your grandson there is not out of the question-- just a question of sacrifice!  If you want to talk more about it, feel free to PM me.
(08-19-2012, 09:19 PM)Spooky Wrote: [ -> ]What's the percentage of Catholics who believe in the Real Presence? 20%? I'm going to go out on a limb and blame that pathetic number directly on how Holy Communion is treated in the NO, either thru abuses or the inherent de-emphases on the sacrificial aspect.

I don't know where you got your "20%" but it is just plain wrong.

http://cara.georgetown.edu/genreal.jpg
moneil-- any more info on the details of that survey? 
(08-19-2012, 09:19 PM)Spooky Wrote: [ -> ]What's the percentage of Catholics who believe in the Real Presence? 20%? I'm going to go out on a limb and blame that pathetic number directly on how Holy Communion is treated in the NO, either thru abuses or the inherent de-emphases on the sacrificial aspect.

I've never seen any abuses related to Holy Communion in the Ordinary Form of the Mass.  During the Consecration, you could hear a pin drop in my church.
People are quiet when going up to receive, return to their pews and pray silently after receiving.

I think poor catechesis is the reason many Catholics have lost faith in the Real Presence.  But moneill has shown that the lowest figure is 74%; the chart shows percentage believing in the Real Presence by age cohort.  The other figures were 75%, 85%, and 86%.

Communion in the hand IS an abuse. 
(08-19-2012, 09:59 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]Communion in the hand IS an abuse. 

Not if the Communion in question isn't really Our Lord.  And let's be honest here.  All Fisheaters know the NO is invalid and worse.  It's impossible to abuse a piece of bread.  Q.E.D.
JC

Fr. McMahon that's his name.
As I understand it the school is grades 8 thru 12. That's a long way off. My biggest concern is what kind of catechesis will my grandson get in those formative years. His parents will be unable to pay to have him go to Catholic school. Is there any way I could take a course to teach catechism in a traditional way? After he receives his first communion in the hand I'll get my son and daughter in law's permission and take him with me to TLM and introduce him to COTT. Was it Cardinal Burke who said the NO is faith endangering?
(08-19-2012, 10:02 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2012, 09:59 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]Communion in the hand IS an abuse. 

Not if the Communion in question isn't really Our Lord.  And let's be honest here.  All Fisheaters know the NO is invalid and worse.  It's impossible to abuse a piece of bread.  Q.E.D.

Haha, of course. 

But in seriousness, I'm not so sure that that many fisheaters think the NO is invalid, as in transubstantiation doesn't take place.  Maybe we should have a poll. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13