FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Introduction to the Michael Davies book "The Order of Melchisedech".
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This work among other things proves the validity of the 1968 Rite of Ordination.

"On 30 June 1968, pope Paul VI pronounced his Credo in which the doctrine of the Sacrifice of the Mass "celebrated by the priest in the Person of Christ in virtue of the power he received in the Sacrament of Order" was very clearly, unambiguously, and correctly expressed. Twelve days earlier, Pope Paul VI had signed the Apostolic Constitution in which he approved and imposed the new ritual of the ordination of deacon, priest, and bishop. In this book the author examines the new rite of ordination to the priesthood and exposes its differences with the former one used in the Roman rite for a number of centuries, enjoying the highest authority.

There can be no doubt of the validity of the New Rite but there are certain features which the author deplores. A number of prayers and ceremonies have been suppressed which, in the Old Rite, served clearly to express the most essential character and duty of priesthood: to offer the Eucharistic Sacrifice of the Mass. This is a sign of a tendency which can be observed in other official liturgical innovations (not to mention illegal ones). It is a matter of great concern for many Catholics that this and similar things are done at a time when the sacrificial character of what is now commonly called the "celebration of the Eucharist" is questioned or even denied by many who do not leave the Catholic Church.

Mr. Davies gives an impressive exposition of the facts and the meaning he attaches to them in the light of Trent, the Pontifical letter Apostolicae Curae of Pope Leo XIII, other official documents, and also the Canterbury Declaration on Ministry and Ordination in the Anglican and Catholic Churches. He rightly rejects the latter completely as a totally ambiguous document.

This is a rich and scholarly book which should be in the hands of all who study post-conciliar developments in the official Roman Catholic Church, the Church of Christ."
Michael Davies was certainly one of the great voices of tradition. A sorely missed voice. He always placed criticism where it needed to be, but was always faithful to the Church. He had a great finesse. He managed to be an outspoken supporter of Abp. Lefebrve and the SSPX, yet cultivated a minor friendship with Card. Ratzinger, who some see (oddly, I think) as an enemy of the SSPX. The best message of our time is to follow the way of Michael Davies, and you'll be fine. Read his books and listen to his talks. And note that he always predicted that Benedict XVI would be a friend of tradition, and to "make every effort to let Cardinal Ratzinger be the friend to traditionalists".

“I have been profoundly touched by the news of the death of Michael Davies. I had the good fortune to meet him several times and I found him as a man of deep faith and ready to embrace suffering. Ever since the Council he put all his energy into the service of the Faith and left us important publications especially about the Sacred Liturgy. Even though he suffered from the Church in many ways in his time, he always truly remained a man of the Church. He knew that the Lord founded His Church on the rock of St Peter and that the Faith can find its fullness and maturity only in union with the successor of St Peter. Therefore we can be confident that the Lord opened wide for him the gates of heaven. We commend his soul to the Lord’s mercy.” - Card. Ratzinger about Michael Davies' death
I never met him but listened to as many talks as I could and he impressed me the same way. It could be my natural inclination but he was one of the best in the Traditionalist camp and I think Pope Benedict XVI is the best friend Tradition has to this time.

tim
This site has a lot of his works collected online:
http://www.catholictradition.org/Euchari...n-mass.htm
It has:

COMMUNION IN THE HAND AND SIMILAR FRAUDS
A SHORT HISTORY OF THE ROMAN MASS
THE CATHOLIC SANCTUARY AND THE SECOND VATICAN COUNCIL
LITURGICAL SHIPWRECK
THE BARBARIANS HAVE TAKEN OVER
THE LITURGICAL REVOLUTION
CRANMER'S GODLY ORDER: HEAVILY EXCERPTED
THE ORDER OF MELCHISIDECH, SECOND EDITION

There are also excerpts from:

IT IS THE MASS THAT MATTERS
POPE LEO XIII ON TRUE LIBERTY
THE PRIESTHOOD AND THE COUNCIL OF TRENT
LITURGICAL TIME BOMBS IN VATICAN II
CHAPTER IX OF POPE JOHN'S COUNCIL
(08-25-2012, 04:14 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]I never met him but listened to as many talks as I could and he impressed me the same way. It could be my natural inclination but he was one of the best in the Traditionalist camp and I think Pope Benedict XVI is the best friend Tradition has to this time.

tim

I was privileged to hear him give the keynote speech at the Catholic Voice International Conference in Chicago in '90 or '91 and to have dinner with him. A fascinating man!
Jovan, I was still slithering then. Jayne thanx that'll fill some time well.

tim
(08-25-2012, 10:10 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Jovan, I was still slithering then. Jayne thanx that'll fill some time well.

tim

I was a fairly new convert! :)
When the great Michael Davies died (10 years ago this week), then Cardinal Ratzinger spoke highly of him:

http://godwinxuereb.blogspot.com/2014/09...avies.html

Undoubtedly people like Davies are responsible for maintaining alive the faith and the hope of us traditional Catholics.