FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Grand, Gothic cathedrals: a waste of money?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(08-30-2012, 10:15 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Tod Brown won't let a proper High Altar within 20 miles of that building.   

Speaking of which, where the hell is the Altar in that place? Is it that stone slab off to the side?
(08-30-2012, 11:31 PM)TS Aquinas Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking of which, where the hell is the Altar in that place? Is it that stone slab off to the side?

I think the Crystal Cathedral is still being used by the old owners as a Protestant church. They won't be moving out until next year.
Just a disclaimer: I do not support the purchase of the Crystal Cathedral. I also do not think grand, Gothic cathedrals are a waste of money.
(08-30-2012, 11:39 PM)Axona Wrote: [ -> ]Just a disclaimer: I do not support the purchase of the Crystal Cathedral. I also do not think grand, Gothic cathedrals are a waste of money.

Why are you giving us a disclaimer?

I'd have to look at the building as a whole, but making the building a huge stained glass piece would be my suggestion.

I think grand cathedrals make a great impression on anyone with eyes, but a lot of people today seem to be too busy to wonder at anything. Still, I'd keep building them.
Grand, Gothic Cathedrals are also a way to level the spiritual playing field, so to speak. They appeal to those who cannot read or study theology, and to those who cannot own beautiful things. They serve to lift all who enter and pass by above the doldrums of everyday life. Building them is an act of supreme charity to the poor!
Well whether we like it or not it's the Cathedral in that diocese so someone try to make it trad at the podium at least. By the way Bishop Todd Brown turned 75 last November a successor is going to be named any day now.
(08-31-2012, 07:38 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]Well whether we like it or not it's the Cathedral in that diocese so someone try to make it trad at the podium at least. By the way Bishop Todd Brown turned 75 last November a successor is going to be named any day now.

You'd think the Archbishop Gomez would temporarily handle OC until a successor is named since OC is a suffragan diocese of LA, but Brown is still running the show until then.
(08-30-2012, 10:32 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: [ -> ]I really wish an earth quake would destroy that building and then they could use the insurance money to build a proper cathedral.

Do you really think they would build a proper cathedral? They'd just replace it with another hideous, ugly, Modernist piece of crap!
Pages: 1 2