FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: First Latin Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So as  I moved into my new college, I finally got the chance to experience my first Latin Mass. Deo Gratias!
To tell the truth, I was lost most of the time, trying to follow along with the missal, but I enjoyed it.
There were few people there, but it was a small chapel.
And after Mass, we recited the Leonine prayers and the Angelus.
There was a schola singing the Latin, and even the children and babies there were silent as Mass was going on.
I was glad to finally attend.

Takes a while before you get the hang of the ol Missal. It will be second nature in time tho.

Way to go!
Deo Gratias!  Cheerleader

Yes, I'd say it took me over a year to really get comfortable using the missal, and being able to tell where the priest was at. Hope you are able to go often!
its just a street car and a bus ride away from my dorm.
This is what scipio_a recommended to folks, which I do as well.

1 - COMMIT TO 3 x in a row at the TLM
2 - When you arrive at the chapel...get one of the little red Missals!!!! do it.  Follow the Mass in the Missal...ASK for help from the folks next to you if you lose your place....ASK....also tell them you are knoew to this Mass...they will be very helpful.
3 - Go to coffee and doughnuts afterwars....and introduce yourself to folks....let them know this is new to you
Just soak it all in, and before you know it, it will become second nature.
You may find it helpful to NOT follow along the first few times you go. Instead, be present in the Mass and allow it's natural beauty to enliven your spirit. Later, when you begin to feel and recognize the flow, you can start to attempt to memorize parts/follow along with certain particulars.

This advice is identical for people who have never been to an Eastern Liturgy. Merely being present gives a new lay person more than enough info to begin being a part of the liturgy.
(09-02-2012, 01:31 PM)Miles Christi Wrote: [ -> ]To tell the truth, I was lost most of the time, trying to follow along with the missal, but I enjoyed it.
Once you know the parts, it is very easy to follow.

You can review the order of the mass before hand: http://www.fisheaters.com/TLMinstructions.html

I generally do not recommend trying to follow along directly as you go if that would be distracting. Even if you follow along perfectly, if you are not familiar with it, it doesn't matter. Just learn the major parts so you have some "landmarks", and as you grow in familiarity, you will be able to understand more.

Quote:There was a schola singing the Latin, and even the children and babies there were silent as Mass was going on.

Only Modernist babies cry.

the problem of losing my place was worst when the prayers suddenly all became silent. lol
(09-02-2012, 01:31 PM)Miles Christi Wrote: [ -> ]So as  I moved into my new college, I finally got the chance to experience my first Latin Mass. Deo Gratias!

I'm really happy for you.  Thanks for sharing this with us.  The fifth anniversary of my first TLM is coming up.  What a great blessing it is to be able to attend it!
Pages: 1 2 3