FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Letter from Bp. Tissier de Mallerais to Korean faithful
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: fax.jpg?w=1204&h=1564]
Deo gratias. 
I second that.
Folks, does anyone else notice that the handwriting on this letter isn't remotely French.  Wouldn't a bishop's secretary type something like this up instead of hand write it? 
(09-09-2012, 10:35 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: [ -> ]Folks, does anyone else notice that the handwriting on this letter isn't remotely French.  Wouldn't a bishop's secretary type something like this up instead of hand write it? 

I've seen other Bp. Tissier letters with the same handwriting and stationary. It looks real to me.
Um, I lived two years in France, and I'm not seeing what you mean about the handwriting.  What I feel can be said is that the person who wrote it was a Francophone.  The unusual construction "rally the modernist Rome" is not one an English-speaker would use.  In English we speak rather of a "reconciliation" or "deal"; in French, the term "ralliement" tends to be used to describe an unfavorable reunion with Rome.

I would rather have expected "rally TO modernist Rome", as the French use 'à' in the expression, but it's the kind of mistake you sometimes see when going from one language to another-- an intransitive verb in both languages is guessed to be a transitive verb in one of them.
I've spent longer in France and my family is still there.  What bothers me isn't the verbal constructions ; it is the sloppiness.  The nmbers at the top look right but the rest of he handwriting is just not as orderly as one would expect.  Handwritten correspondence usuaaly involves greater effort than this letter.  On the other hand, His Excellency could be very, very busy. 

With so many documents finding their way into the public sphere, I thought I should bring it up.
(09-09-2012, 10:35 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: [ -> ]Folks, does anyone else notice that the handwriting on this letter isn't remotely French.  Wouldn't a bishop's secretary type something like this up instead of hand write it? 

It looks like Sister Lucia's handwriting to me.

Perhaps she is not dead and a prisoner in the Vatican.

Just kidding.
(09-10-2012, 06:18 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]

Just kidding.
:). Maybe I am paranoid.
(09-10-2012, 06:18 AM)ggreg Wrote: [ -> ]

Just kidding.
My take on it exactly.