FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Why Do We Argue About Things We Can't Control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The Catholic Church isn't a democracy. Unless we have a Bishop posting here none of us have any control over whether the NO is abrogated, whether the SSPX is regularized, whether Russia will be consecrated, how Vatican II is dealt with. Why then do we argue so much about these topics? We can't provide the solution.

And why don't we talk more about things that we can do. Such as how to deepen our faith, how to treat each other with charity and love, how to better love Our Lady, how to help the poor, how to love our enemies and those that persecute us, how to better pray the rosary, how to better explore Scripture, and how to deal with our sinful natures. These are all things within our power and can offer tangible results.

:w2go:
How does arguing not offer tangible results?  It doesn't deliver, sure, but it does offer them.

If you want to talk about prayer, etc., I'm listening.  But I don't see the argument against argument.
Some of the discussion about things beyond our control is emotional venting.  There is much happening in the Church and the world that leaves us distressed and angry.
Very true words. Arguing about such things just fosters more bitterness and can be dangerous to the soul.

The Imitation of Christ:
Quote:Shun too great a desire for knowledge, for in it there is much fretting and delusion. Intellectuals like to appear learned and to be called wise. Yet there are many things the knowledge of which does little or no good to the soul, and he who concerns himself about other things than those which lead to salvation is very unwise.
I think it's human nature to complain about what we can't control, precisely because we can't control it. If there was something constructive that we could do, we would just do it. In the absence of that, we complain and argue, because that's all we can do.

In principle, though, I agree with the OP. I would certainly like to see more constructive discussions on here, and less moaning and whining and complaining.
Another thing we can't control: the minds of each other here.

Nothing stops people from posting constructive threads about prayer, evangelical piety, psalmody, etc., but I guess that a discussion forum is just prone for arguments and discussion, especially about controversial subjects. In the end, to each his own.
(09-17-2012, 08:58 PM)Someone1776 Wrote: [ -> ]And why don't we talk more about things that we can do. Such as how to deepen our faith, how to treat each other with charity and love, how to better love Our Lady, how to help the poor, how to love our enemies and those that persecute us, how to better pray the rosary, how to better explore Scripture, and how to deal with our sinful natures. These are all things within our power and can offer tangible results.

I've seen plenty of this in the Apologetics thread. In Catholic News and the political one you've got current events which sparks a lot of circular discussion that never evolves, bemoaning and eye rolling. There are a lot of problems we really can't solve and we just need to vent.

When the Pope is in the news, traveling and making speeches, it becomes an opportunity for discussion but unfortunately many are watching and waiting for him to trip and fall. And when I say this I am talking about the liberal media as well. They are looking for the splinter in his eye and turning it into a plank. That's how it seems anyway.
Because arguing is fun.

Just saying what everyone is thinking.  :tiphat:
(09-17-2012, 09:32 PM)DrBombay Wrote: [ -> ]Because arguing is fun.

Just saying what everyone is thinking.   :tiphat:

And because arguing, most of the time, is merely for ego-boosting and not to find truth. I rarely find that arguments or debates lead to one party changing their mind upon a matter.
Pages: 1 2 3 4