FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholic dioceses will close Hospitals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In his regular weekly syndicated column, George Weigel predicts that if teh contraceptive mandate survives judicial and political challenges, Catholic bishops will reluctatnly close down institutions such as schools and hospitals rather than comply with the mandate. The conflict is a critical consideration in this election year, Weigel argues: "Rather than truckle to such coercion, Catholic bishops have made clear that they will, if necessary, close the Catholic medical facilities fo rwhich they are responsible -- a drastic action that would seriously imperil health services to the poor. But it doesn't have to come to that.     
Probably, but not the ones in the thirty states which require the same by state law, now.

tim
I am sure they will love this, they can use this mandate as an excuse to do what they wanted to do all along, close down the schools and some churches as well.
My thought is that most of the prelates will capitulate.  There may be some heroic ones who will not and I wish the number of them to be great but history and human nature shows us that people are weak and will take the easy way out with specious reasons they tell themselves.
In a healthier Church, bishops who capitulate would be excommunicated vitandus, reserved to the Pope, and only after doing public penance. As it is most of them are spineless wimps and will capitulate. Obama and co may be evil incarnate but they aren't stupid or spineless. Nearly all bishops are stupid and spineless, and some are evil to boot. *sigh*
The closing down of Catholic institutions is exactly what the American left wants.  If they close down, the American government can then swoop in and fill the gap that was created by these institutions closing. 

This can make the government look like a hero and a savior.  They want to be the savior and it irritates them to no end that we acknowledge Christ and his one holy Catholic and apostolic Church as the infallibly true savior.

They want us to close our hospital, schools, etc.

We must resist.  We must keep these institutions open, refuse to comply with the mandates, refuse to pay the fines, and choose jail and death over cooperating with this intrinsic evil.
Adam, you are quite right. But the bishops *wont* resist. We all know that. Most have lost the faith entirely. Many are evil men. Most are spineless, gutless wimps. They are more interested in their cushy lifestyles, country club memberships and pensions than the faith. Sorry to be cynical, but I have lost any kind of human confidence in the good faith of clergy and hierarchy alike. There are a few good men, but they are the exception.
No, "our" institutions will not close. They will not resist either. In 10 years they will be performing abortions and euthansia and the bishops will be scolding faithful Catholics who criticise this. Resistance would be ideal, but it will not happen. The next best thing I suppose would be to blow these institutions up so they cannot be re-used by the state. I can't see that happening either.
(09-20-2012, 12:59 PM)tridentinist Wrote: [ -> ]Adam, you are quite right. But the bishops *wont* resist. We all know that. Most have lost the faith entirely. Many are evil men. Most are spineless, gutless wimps. They are more interested in their cushy lifestyles, country club memberships and pensions than the faith. Sorry to be cynical, but I have lost any kind of human confidence in the good faith of clergy and hierarchy alike. There are a few good men, but they are the exception.
No, "our" institutions will not close. They will not resist either. In 10 years they will be performing abortions and euthansia and the bishops will be scolding faithful Catholics who criticise this. Resistance would be ideal, but it will not happen. The next best thing I suppose would be to blow these institutions up so they cannot be re-used by the state. I can't see that happening either.

I certainly don’t advocate blowing up any buildings.  I admonish any proposed violence and can only advocate things be done peacefully.

I hear what you are saying about the “clergy and hierarchy alike”.  It is indeed disheartening.  It is important not put our confidence in mere men.  To do so will always lead to disappointment.  After all Judas betrayed Jesus, Peter denied him three times and 9 of the remaining 10 deserted him when the poo hit the fan.  These men were very disappointing in these specific examples, and they were handpicked by the Lord himself!

I understand the urge to criticize men who are supposed to be on our “team”, and it is important to hold people accountable and speak boldly.

I don’t know what the solution is.  I wish I did.

Pray and fast, we can’t go wrong with that.
Closing is capitulating, too. More principled than paying for abortifacients, but giving in, nonetheless.

Civil disobedience ought to be the last resort. Let the lawyers and cops shut down the hospital and wheel the patients out themselves. Non-violence resistance is the only thing that keep the government from looking like the hero who stepped in when the Church "didn't care about the sick anymore."
I think more than a few will show some strength. But most of these institutions are owned and operated by liberal orders. Obama is using this as way to split them off from the Bishops, so he can say see these good sisters do Christ's work, while the Bishops that oppose it are women haters. This has George Soros' fingerprints all over it, and it's a master stroke executed by his boss Lucifer. Soros has long said the Church must change it's moral teaching.

tim
Pages: 1 2