FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Year of Faith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi Fishies

With the Year of Faith starting up soon, I am wondering what exactly does this proclamation mean.  I have heard that there is going to be a synod of bishops meeting to start this off.  Will they be talking about or deciding anything like a "mini council" such as this often talked about hermenutic of continuity? Or is this more of a photo-op, tea n cake sort of thing?  Im asking because I haven't been in the Catholic Church very long, so Ive never been in one  of these Year of.... things.

Luke

Also, has Pope Benedicts new encyclical been released yet? I thought it was supposed to be out around now.
I had to write an article about the "Year of Faith" for our October parish newsletter. Catholics are encouraged to read (reread) the 16 documents of the Second Vatican Council and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I find it impossible that anyone here has not already read the VII documents a gazillion times over, but if you haven't, you really should.
(09-20-2012, 08:09 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]I had to write an article about the "Year of Faith" for our October parish newsletter. Catholics are encouraged to read (reread) the 16 documents of the Second Vatican Council and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I find it impossible that anyone here has not already read the VII documents a gazillion times over, but if you haven't, you really should.

To what end are catholics encouraged to read the VII documents? 
(09-20-2012, 08:09 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: [ -> ]I had to write an article about the "Year of Faith" for our October parish newsletter. Catholics are encouraged to read (reread) the 16 documents of the Second Vatican Council and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I find it impossible that anyone here has not already read the VII documents a gazillion times over, but if you haven't, you really should.
I haven't read all the Vatican II documents. I have read a few. I am just astounded at the beauty (no joke). The way to grasp the concepts and keeping them in context without mentally blocking (people here have automatic prejudice toward V2 documents), is to read them through the lens of tradition.
There you have it: short and sweet.

Officially  the "Year of Faith" is all about Vatican II but I don't see why we couldn't just each decide to take a year to really delve deeply and humbly into trying to better learn and live the Faith even if we never read a single document from the Second Vatican Council.
(09-20-2012, 08:13 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: [ -> ]

To what end are catholics encouraged to read the VII documents? 

Simply because many average Catholics in the pews have never even read them. They only know of the "spirit" of  VII and all that. They really should read the documents for themselves.
(09-20-2012, 08:16 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]Officially  the "Year of Faith" is all about Vatican II but I don't see why we couldn't just each decide to take a year to really delve deeply and humbly into trying to better learn and live the Faith even if we never read a single document from the Second Vatican Council.
That is exactly why. We traditional Catholics bash V2 without having ever read any of its wonderful documents.
I can see why it's aptly called the Year of Faith.

More like leap of faith...
(09-20-2012, 09:08 PM)OldMan Wrote: [ -> ]More like leap of faith...

The Leap Year of Faith. 

Yes, I like that one. 

Sorry, I would rather read clear, concise, and unapologetic dogma of the Catholic Religion. I'll go for Trent, or pre-VII encyclicals. Time better used!
Pages: 1 2 3