FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bp. Williamson confirms people outside of SSPX?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Of course this item is from the Tablet, which is rather like the "Distorter" (national catholic reporter) in the UK but if true, what does it mean?

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/latest-news/4580

SSPX denounces Williamson
21 September 2012

Bishop Richard Williamson of the traditionalist Society of St Pius X (SSPX) has administered the sacrament of Confirmation to nearly 100 lay Catholics in Brazil without the approval of his own breakaway society.

The celebration took place in Nova Friburgo town, Rio de Janeiro state, at the end of August and was organised by the Benedictine Monastery of the Holy Cross.

On the SSPX's website on 6 September, Fr Christian Bouchacourt, the group's district superior of South America, denounced the bishop's behaviour as "a serious act against the virtue of obedience" and "an attack upon the most elementary demands of courtesy".
(09-22-2012, 06:54 AM)Magdalene Wrote: [ -> ]Of course this item is from the Tablet, which is rather like the "Distorter" (national catholic reporter) in the UK but if true, what does it mean?

21 September 2012

Bishop Richard Williamson of the traditionalist Society of St Pius X (SSPX) has administered the sacrament of Confirmation to nearly 100 lay Catholics in Brazil without the approval of his own breakaway society.

The celebration took place in Nova Friburgo town, Rio de Janeiro state, at the end of August and was organised by the Benedictine Monastery of the Holy Cross.

On the SSPX's website on 6 September, Fr Christian Bouchacourt, the group's district superior of South America, denounced the bishop's behaviour as "a serious act against the virtue of obedience" and "an attack upon the most elementary demands of courtesy".
Please forgive me if I did not get it from the piece:

So did Bishop Williamson confer confirmation on diocesan parishioners?
Quote:On the SSPX's website on 6 September, Fr Christian Bouchacourt, the group's district superior of South America, denounced the bishop's behaviour as "a serious act against the virtue of obedience" and "an attack upon the most elementary demands of courtesy".

This is LOL funny when you really stop to think about it. Considering the drama of the past couple of years. But it is entirely not funny when we consider what unity means in the Church. What a mess. I would like to see the story from the Society's website. I would not know the official one from Adam, so if someone could provide a clearer picture by providing the story from the Society's perspective it would help us to discern what this means or does not mean.

(09-22-2012, 10:54 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:On the SSPX's website on 6 September, Fr Christian Bouchacourt, the group's district superior of South America, denounced the bishop's behaviour as "a serious act against the virtue of obedience" and "an attack upon the most elementary demands of courtesy".

This is LOL funny when you really stop to think about it. Considering the drama of the past couple of years. But it is entirely not funny when we consider what unity means in the Church. What a mess. I would like to see the story from the Society's website. I would not know the official one from Adam, so if someone could provide a clearer picture by providing the story from the Society's perspective it would help us to discern what this means or does not mean.
The following is from the official SSPX US web page:

http://www.sspx.org/sspx_and_rome/fr_chr...unique.htm
The title of the article shows the amount of leeway journalists have.
(09-22-2012, 10:37 AM)Old Salt Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2012, 06:54 AM)Magdalene Wrote: [ -> ]Of course this item is from the Tablet, which is rather like the "Distorter" (national catholic reporter) in the UK but if true, what does it mean?

21 September 2012

No, he conferred Confirmation on a group of laymen associated with an SSPX-friendly community (similar to the Benedictine Monks of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico, or the Dominicans in Arville, France) without permission from +Fellay, because this group is strongly anti-agreement with Rome.
(09-22-2012, 02:35 PM)MRose Wrote: [ -> ]

21 September 2012

No, he conferred Confirmation on a group of laymen associated with an SSPX-friendly community (similar to the Benedictine Monks of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico, or the Dominicans in Arville, France) without permission from +Fellay, because this group is strongly anti-agreement with Rome.
It does seem ironic that Bishop Williamson is in trouble for disobedience  for confering a sacrament without his superiors permission
and all the while Bishop Fellay is disobediant to his superior in dispensing the same sacraments.
(09-22-2012, 04:11 PM)Old Salt Wrote: [ -> ]It does seem ironic that Bishop Williamson is in trouble for disobedience  for confering a sacrament without his superiors permission
and all the while Bishop Fellay is disobediant to his superior in dispensing the same sacraments.

Very ironic.
(09-22-2012, 04:11 PM)Old Salt Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2012, 02:35 PM)MRose Wrote: [ -> ]

21 September 2012

It does seem ironic that Bishop Williamson is in trouble for disobedience  for confering a sacrament without his superiors permission
The one is a general state of necessity, the other is not.
So your saying that it is a state of necessity when the SSPX under Bishop Fellay administers sacraments but not when Bishop Williamson does it on his own? ???
Pages: 1 2 3